Athiest: What experiences shaped your beliefs or lack of?

I always wondered...

sugahmamma

Asked by sugahmamma at 7:53 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I grew up Christian, exposed to many sects, but I always found that the group was full of hypocrites. It bothered me. A lot of judgmental people, 'fake' people, so I started venturing to other belief systems, and I cannot say I am fully atheist at this point, I have yet to continue exploring spirituality. But at this point I am like agnostic on the way to atheism. But who knows after I do more self exploration I may be Christian again, or practice Buddhism, it all depends.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 7:58 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I grew up a christian but always had questions. No one could answer them for me and make sense of the whole god thing. I did a lot of research when I got older, and a lot of soul searching as well. I came to the conclusion that there is no god. It didn't happen over night and without a lot of thought. I feel more at peace with my belief than I ever did.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 8:02 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I grew up Mormon and every question I had about God the leaders will never answer it. They would answer my question with a question or divert away from my questions.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 8:18 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Nothing, really. I just never believed any of the stuff I was being taught. It's like sitting in a room full of people who really, really believe in Bigfoot or unicorns or something, and just thinking are you people serious? From as early as I can remember, I just couldn't understand how anyone could believe. Still can't.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 8:22 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Nothing really just research, studying and a better understanding of philosophy and history.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:28 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I was raised without religion.  My mother was a teacher and my father was well travelled and well read so our home was full of reference books.  I can remember as a child looking through books about geology, ancient civilizations, the natural world and the solar system.  I grew up on fact, not fiction.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:57 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• grew up going to Assembly of God churches...a LOT. Was pretty freaked as a kid seeing people fall down in the isles, cry, shake and speak in tongues it was wierd...my brother drowned in our pool when he was 2 1/2 and I was 12. When I was a junior in high school, I took mythology and another class I had did a week on the major religions, which made me realise that there were people who believed differently than my family did-I never really was exposed to anything else or told about any others before that... yeah I had seen movies and stuff-but that's all it was to me until then...anyhow, after the mythology class I started thinking of christianity as myth as well...and the older I got the more I felt that way and figured out that I really didn't believe in God...met hubby who was an atheist and realised that there was a name for not believeing and that was pretty much how it went for me...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:45 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• These stories are similar to how I became Pagan. I found myself smiling and nodding with each answer.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 11:40 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• My fmaily was christian, and i just never got it.

I've never believed in a god, because the whole idea is like leprechauns and flying chrome unicorns. It doesn't make sense to me, not a christian style god anyway. Even if the christians are right, i don't want to worship a being like that. Vindictive, destructive, jealous, and petty.

When i found out about buddhism, it was just words to what i'd always thought.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 8:08 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• No one event caused it. I grew up in churches full of great people. They where really nice. I just did not believe. I tried to force myself to believe and I soon found out you can't force yourself to believe. I tried training to be a minister and everything I could. I even read the bible cover to cover to get myself to believe. (small side note do not ever let your 10 year old child read that cover to cover there are a lot of things in there they are to young to read) I think it was the 4 th time that I read the whole bible that I realized that I could not believe and forcing myself to was not working or bringing me peace. I did not like a lot of things that where in the bible and they just did not sit well with me because I wanted peace in my religion and faith.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 8:57 AM on Jan. 5, 2011