A question for you vegetarian mama's..............

What do you use to replace the meat in your diet? I was raised a vegetarian and would love to go back to it but if I eat veggies for a meal I am STARVING an hour later. I think I need more protien and fiber in my meals. What should I cook? Beans? Brown rice? Lentils? Am I on the right track here?

mommytoJames512

Asked by mommytoJames512 at 7:56 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Beans are good. I use (but not all vegetarians do) meat substitutes items like veggie burgers and veg chicken nuggets. Regular grocery stores usually have a few of those types of items, but a health food store will probably have lots. Also, if you're planning on being a lacto-ovo vegetarian, milk (I use almondmilk, but you can use cow's if you prefer), cottage cheese, yougurt, string cheese, and eggs provide lots of protein as well.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:59 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• We use tofu, seitan, morningstar or quorn products, lots of nuts. Mushrooms are also a very good source of protein. We are growing our own for the first time this year.

We don't eat meat substitutes at every meal or even every dinner like some eat their meat and potatoes every night.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:47 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• lentils, beans, leafy greens, nuts and grains, along with your fruits and vegetables. I eat the fake meat things too...mostly for taste though...I am actually not sure if they provide much of what your body needs but they do provide a good amount of protein. I use tofu a lot to substitute meat. I have friends who say soy can be bad if you have too much though so look into that. As long as you are eating healthy you should be fine. Sometimes I feel my body needs something and I will eat some beans, lentils, or nuts and feel better.
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 8:52 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• We swear by Quorn products,
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 11:37 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• You are on the right track, but I supplement with whey protein powders and tofu or soy products. Vegetarian times is a magazine that will help you with recipes, you can probably find their site in the net. I also eat dairy so cheese is a big part of my diet.

Answer by older at 7:59 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• We very rarely use the meat substitutes; they are highly processed and not healthy.
    We eat lots of whole grains, legumes, vegetables and fruits.
    Send me a message if you would like some recipes

Answer by rkoloms at 10:05 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Generally, there is no reason to 'replace' meat in a healthy, varied diet.

Most North American vegetarians get between three and five times as much protein as they need, and as long as they're not vegan there are no other nutrients that are missing. (Vegans need a source of vitamin b12 --without it they risk permanent brain damage from pernicious anemia-- and it is only available in animal products. Most vegans use yeast, which happily is an animal, to supplement.)

Soy is overused, and unnecessary. It is also unnecessary to follow the fiction from the 60s about food combining --bodies are smart enough to get the 9 essential amino acids from a wide range of foods over the period of a couple of days, we don't need all of them in one meal.

The really important thing is to eat healthy --vegetarian, vegan or omnivorous. No one needs potato chips every week, and no one needs pop (completely vegan, yay) ever.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 8:08 PM on Jan. 4, 2011