I'm taking my 6 yo to the eye doc --a little worried.....

She has always been a twirler and one to bump into things and fall over things, but she laughs and I never took it seriously. Her schoolwork is good. But the other day she told me that "sometimes her eyesight changes." She said that sometimes when she reaches for something that she thinks is close, it's much farther away than she thought. Um WHAT? So I'm taking her to an Opthomologist tomorrow. I'm sure they'll figure it out, but I'm just not sure what to expect. I've never had any vision problems (no glasses) but her dad had amblyopia and has depth perception problems. I'm bracing for the worst. Any advice?

charlottej

Asked by charlottej at 8:08 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Kids' Health

• It may be a depth perception issue. I have been in glasses since I was 4. My Mom ignored symptoms in me thinking I was just clumsy. It wasn't until I walked of the side of a 10 ft drop that I was seen. I'm glad to hear you're taking this seriously. No need to freak out..but the sooner the better. I am now legally blind in my left eye (unrelated to age of diagnosis). Glass isn't so bad. Teach her to be strong and ignore the idiots who will tease. You may want to warn her before going that the Dr. will probably put some drops in her eyes to be able to see the inside really good. They don't hurt, just make vision blurry for a bit. Also, make sure you have some sunglasses for her for after the exam.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:39 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• no need to be worried my son wears classes we tok him in at the age of five they just to standard test ask them what pictures they see, or letters. Its harmless my son loved it
    Marie_07

Answer by Marie_07 at 8:12 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I have worn glasses since I was 4. I have the worst eyesight next to blind. It really is not bad and you have nothing to worry about it!!! an eye doctor has to be the MOST harmless of doctors :)
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 8:21 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• OH mama she'll be ok my dd had to go thru the same thing last year (she's 6 now) she was fine its not painful-- its a little bit fun hang in there it will be fine
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 8:24 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• does anyone know what her comments are a sign of?
    charlottej

Comment by charlottej (original poster) at 8:28 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• maybe it is just the way she looks at things...you know if you look at a pattern or a screen sometimes it looks like it is getting closer to you. If she falls a lot I would also have her ears checked.
    Anonymous

• She's had her ears checked and her balance is excellent. But she will try to sit in a chair and miss it. Very strange.
    charlottej

Comment by charlottej (original poster) at 8:31 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• thanks for the information, GEG. My husband is also legally blind in one eye and has depth perception problems, but you can' t tell by looking at him. The only way he knew something was wrong, is that he could play sports (missed the ball every time). Now that I think about it, she would run up to the soccer ball and either stumble over it or kick the air! LOL (not really funny) but I never connected anything before!
    charlottej

Comment by charlottej (original poster) at 9:08 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I mean to say he COULDN'T play sports.
    charlottej