What do you think?

I finally got my husband to say yes to getting a dog. I really want a german sheperd... the only thing is we like in a mobile home and are yard is small we have local dog park and trails and a beach when its warm to walk the dog do you think its unfair to have such a big dog in a small home and yard?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:31 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Pets

• exercise is very important for all dogs, just take it for a walk each day
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 8:32 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Thats your call. I live in a duplex on the second floor and we had a german sheperd. They are the BEST!! lol Some may recommend a larger space but if you walk it a lot and the place is big enough for them to roam around in then go for it
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:33 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• you really need to be dedicated to running that dog....it is nice if they live in a big yard, but that's not to say everyone with a big yard will give it a good home either. As long as he's getting enough exercise, then there's nothing wrong with giving him a good home. Try petfinder and your local shelter or GSD rescue group also :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:38 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• The size of the home does not matter as long as the dog get what they need. I lived in a house that was under 1000 sqft with three decent sized dogs. Their back yard was not that big but they went on regular walks, one got run with my bike, they swam in the summer and went to the dog park. My two older dogs went to a doggie daycare as well. Now we live in a bigger house but a smaller space because my daughter and I live in the basement of my moms house. It is tight with the three dogs but they get just as much excersise if not more (we live on the river now).
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 9:06 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• As long as you meet his needs and give him some good aerobic activity on a daily basis he will be fine living there with you.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:39 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• A German SHEPHERD needs a lot of exercise. Prior to being used for protection dogs, they were herding dogs. So, they need a job to do to avoid being bored out of their trees.

A quick walk around the block is not going to suffice. They get large, some over 120 pds (males). You do have to have the space in your home to make sure the dog is comfortable and isn't cramped anywhere.

In most places, dogs aren't allowed on the beach but if you have an area that the dog can run, this is good too.

Remember too, that dogs need lots of training, time, and consistency to make them proper companions. Good Luck
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 12:20 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Dogs need excercise DAILY. A quick walk down the park once a day is not going to be good enough for a breed that size and that type. Remember that dog will need lots of training, time and effort etc. He (and most breeds) need good runs every day. Dogs can become destructive or naughty if they aren't excercised enough....its better for all of you if he gets it!

He should be fine living in your home...just remember he will need lots of toys to stimulate him, maybe a large crate if you are to crate train him, and a large bed. Do you ahve room for all of his equipment too?

Good luck :)
    little.knickers

Answer by little.knickers at 6:30 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Have you considered the bathing needs and difficulty doing that in a smaller place? As long as he/she is exercised and loved he/she will be happy, you have to figure out the shedding issues and the bathing issues though.
    kingkongsmom

Answer by kingkongsmom at 9:14 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Well, kind of, but then again it depends more on how you care for the dog. I mean, if you never interact with him or walk him or play with him, a big yard would never make up for that. And on the other end, if you plan to take him out a lot for walks, and play with him a lot on the small yard you have, and you won't be leaving him inside the small house alone for long stretched of time every day, then he should be fine. It depends more on your investment of time and energy than space, imho. Good luck and I hope you find a dog you love, that loves living with you too!
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 9:48 AM on Jan. 7, 2011