Blood on the dog's bone

Does anyone know why there would be a small trace of blood on the dog's bone? My husband thought that since he hadn't had a bone in a while, maybe his gums were getting bad and thus the bleeding.

zboys

Asked by zboys at 8:35 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Pets

• whether his gums are bad or not, if they chew it hard enough there will be a little blood. My dog has beautiful teeth but every now and then, there are little smears of blood. I think they really just get into it. Just make sure the bone doesn't have any splintered ends and that his gums aren't inflamed or anything.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:36 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Same as callie. My dog would spot blood here and there too. Its prob the same as brushing too hard and bleeding. He/she prob bit into it at the wrong spot or a little too hard
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:39 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Our dog is nuts with his bones...chews till his gums bleed...always had
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 8:40 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• My dog has great teeth and gums but when he gets a bone that he just LOVES he will chew and chew until it's bloody. If I feel that it is to much I'll take it from him to give him a break. But most of the time I ignore it and let him be his happy little self.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 11:11 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• My little dog is OBSESSED with bones.... if I let her have one for too long in one stretch her gums will bleed.
    -LucyInTheSky-

Answer by -LucyInTheSky- at 11:54 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Make sure it isn't a rawhide bone. Dogs have been known to choke on rawhide.
    A little bleeding is okay. If it's a lot, or you're concerned, you can call your vet.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 12:16 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• ditto to the rawhide bones!! I had to pull a flat piece out of the back of my dogs mouth. It had suctioned to her tongue. They aren't great. Just give a nylabone. :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:38 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• my jrt is the same .. maybe he is just biting too hard, or he does has gum probs .. if ur worried see a vet and good luck momma x
    san78

Answer by san78 at 4:37 PM on Jan. 5, 2011