Flat vs. fluffy pancakes

I've been able to make fluffy pancakes all my life with no problem; however, all of a sudden out of the blue now I can't make a fluffy pancake if my life depended on it. I've tried beating the mixture with a spoon, an electric mixer, and a whisk with no luck. What am I doing wrong?! (It's so aggravating.)

zboys

Asked by zboys at 8:39 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Usually it has to do with the amount of water. I work at a restaurant and if I am in the mood for crepes(flats) I will just add more water to the batter
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:40 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Old eggs, overbeating, not letting the batter rest enough...or turning too soon. All possibilities.If you are making your own mix check your baking powders date of expiration. If using a premixed mix..check expiration. good Luck.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:41 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Are you using a different kind of mix? Bisquik makes fluffy ones, where as actual pancake mixes, like Aunt Jamima or whatever they are make flatter ones.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 8:42 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• mines use to be flat cause i added too much water gl
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 8:43 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Stop beating it. Pancake batter is supposed to be lumpy - stir it with a spoon the least amount you can and still have it mixed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Jan. 5, 2011