Insomnia...

I have been having regular bouts of insomnia. My doc says that it's not a problem unless I am having trouble staying awake during the day, which I am not having problems.

But, I would like to go to bed at a normal time instead of laying there listening to SO breathe. By 10, my eyes are tired, I want to lay down, but my mind goes into overdrive. I think all day long so why will it not stop?

Ideas? And I would rather not take melatonin since it's been linked to infertility.

Jademom07

Asked by Jademom07 at 9:00 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Health

• I use Calms Forte when I have trouble sleeping. It's a homeopathic remedy. I also know a couple of people who use catnip tincture to help them sleep.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 9:03 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I got diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder 2 few years ago and I have had numerous nights where I can't fall asleep to save my life! Somanex or Nytol works for me sometimes and avoiding anything with caffine, take a real warm bath with a fav scent oils, or maybe have sex and fall asleep, men do all the time so there something there!! lol Or maybe your SO can give u a relaxing massage.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:06 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Have you tried ambien?
    sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 1:00 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• You could try learning to meditate or use the Relaxation Response... or learn self-hypnosis, or buy or download a hypnosis podcast (or a dozen)...

It's hard to realize, because we tend to carve things out of reality in very human ways, but sleep is a learned behaviour. We need to sleep, physiologically, but we also have a lot of control over when we do what we need to do for our body's health. Just as we can ignore or even learn to fail to notice that we need to pee, we can ignore and even learn to fail to notice our signs that sleeping now is necessary.

Anything that can be learned can be learned --so whatever you've already learned is 'true' about sleep for you, you can learn something healthier over the top of.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:05 AM on Jan. 5, 2011