Is it me or my baby!??

I'm a new mommy so be patient while I try to explain my question LOL! I've been told that I have a very good baby, I always assumed I did too, she will be 10 weeks old tomorrow. The first 8 weeks she was good, my DH and I got to know her cries and which one meant what, she's a happy baby she would sit there and just look around while I vaccuumed, she really only cried when something was wrong, she seems to be a gassy baby so the Dr. has her on the Similac Senstive, she's an excellant burper but we assume she's gassy because all she has done the past 2 weeks is WHINE...and it's not a cry it's a whine, I'm not even sure how to explain it, but as soon as you pick her up or move her around a room she's fine, we assume she's bored or gassy. But it's ALL the time, if she' s not being held, sleeping or eating she is whining, I feel like a horrible mommy or a stupid one because maybe this is normal and every baby does this, and of course when anyone babysits she doesn't do it to them! At 6 weeks she started sleeping 7-9 hours at night in her crib (Yes I thought I died and went to heaven) then the last 3 days she only sleeps 5-6 I know that growth spurts and other things can contribute to that I don't care because I'm happy she is sleeping in her crib at night, she won't nap there but I'll live with that too, my question is, now don't laugh, is the whining normal? I keep thinking that maybe something is wrong with her? Maybe something is bothering her??? Then someone suggested teething!!?? At 2 mths really? Is that even possible? She does drool and bite her hands and our fingers and a binki but assume it's because she's hungry....HELP mommies! Am I just a parinoid unexperienced mom?

Mommy102710

Asked by Mommy102710 at 9:19 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My first thought would be that she is whining because she has gas. I'm sure you do too :) But there are many things such as teething that it could be. Sometimes you never know. I would wait a few weeks for it to resolve itself. If it gets worse then feel free to consult your Ped or Ped nurses. Worrying is a sign of a good mother.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 9:34 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I would lean more towards she doesn't want to be put down and that nothing is wrong.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 9:35 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Well, it sounds like she's a smart little cookie. She has learned that if she whines that mommy or daddy will pick her up. It is hard to teach her with being so young that she doesn't have to have attention all the time and that it is ok to not be held. Try to introduce things she can look at. I used to have a toy that played music and had tons of lights that would go over my girls while they were laying on the floor or in the playpen. Do you have a swing, maybe that could occupy her for a bit. My DD used to love to swing, it also had a little mobile that hung from it and played music and lit up. Good luck to you mommy.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 9:36 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Thank you!!!! Yes she loooooves her swing, she slept in it for awhile when I needed to get the bassinet out of our room because me and my DH were not sleeping at all, I do sit on the floor with her under her activity gym and Santa brought her a new toy that play music and has lights, she likes for a certain amount of time I mean how big can their atten span really be LOL....I honestly think she is bored! LOL....I due let her whine sometimes because I would never get anything done if I didn't! LOL....THank you for not making me feel foolilsh with this question! :-)
    Mommy102710

Comment by Mommy102710 (original poster) at 9:45 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Not a problem :) I went through the same thing and thank goodness for my mother in law. She taught me a lot.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 10:55 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• In my book, whining when left alone is completely normal. A sling can really help.

And there's no such thing as too early for teething. They can be BORN teething. The misery starts long before you see or feel a thing.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:18 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• This question has helped alot also because my son is almost 8 weeks old and is doing the same thing and I am just as confused and worried as you are.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 3:12 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Well if it helps any of you ladies I went to my mommy group today and I explained everything and the teacher said it sounded like she is tired. Well it makes sense because last night she ate at 9 went to bed at 10 and slept until almost 8pm this morning, she napped for an hour this morning and is napping now and she hasn't whined ONCE all day!!! She is so happy and I can talk with her and watch her giggle, I can walk away with her in her bouncy seat and she is happy. I obviously need to get a nap routine down, she hasn't wanted to nap in her crib since day one, which is odd because she'll sleep in it but not nap but others also said that being up until 11pm is not necessary anymore that having a bed time is ok for her age and it will also help me and my hubby have some time....and some sanity!!
    Mommy102710

Comment by Mommy102710 (original poster) at 4:11 PM on Jan. 5, 2011