when did u take your child off the binky and how did u go about it?

My son turns 1 at the end of the month and i kept telling myself that i would not allow him to have the pacifier after a year but now that it has come to the point i have no idea how to go about it. For the past two months I only give it to him when he is crying pretty bad or for bed, but lately since his teeth are coming in he wants it a lot more. I'm just wanting to know other mothers strategies on how they eliminated the "BINKY". Also what age? Thank u for your time. :)

Casteel_chick

Asked by Casteel_chick at 9:40 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• she would only use one kind
    and we had found five of these
    the cat loved chewing on them, and of course only the ones she liked
    when the cat found the last one, she was also over her colic

4 months

cat ate lastone, and daughter done with colic
    i was breastfeeding, just did not give her a pacie again

we werelucky- not a biggie for her at 4 months
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:06 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• do notknow much about taking away at older age
    much harder i assume

for teething, i used a washcloth that i dipped in water, then freezer
    teething ring that also we put in freezer

good luck
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:08 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• my kids were older, my first was 2 1/2 yrs. and I told her to practice giving it up on naptime. She then put it in her drawer, and never took it out. My other was 3 1/2 and she only used it a bedtime then, and I would pop it out of her mouth when she went to sleep. We talked about it and she gave it up herself. My last was actually 6 yr. but she has autism and she gave up when her teeth got wiggly. They are all grown up now, and have no bad effects from the binky. In fact, most dentists are shocked at how straight their teeth are, and they have never had braces. My advice is don't sweat the small stuff, time passes all too quickly.
    homeschoolin432

Answer by homeschoolin432 at 10:14 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I actually had a plan for this, but never needed it. My daughter hated the binky after about a month old. However, it was fun to stick it in her mouth and watch her spit it across the room. :) Seriously, I had decided that by age 1 if she still had it, we would go to Build-A-Bear and have them put her favorite binky inside. That way it could still be with her, she could still sleep with it, but it wouldn't be in her mouth. I'm not sure if that's a plausible plan, like I said, never needed it. But feel free to use it if you like! Hope it helps!
    blu_canary

Answer by blu_canary at 10:28 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• My daughter is 14 months old and uses a binky, but she isn't extremely attached to it. She doesn't ask for it or look for it, but it does calm her down when she is really upset, or when she goes to bed and she wants to use it. I am predicting it won't be too difficult to wean her off of it. Now the bottle on the other hand, that is going to be hard.
    sugaree

Answer by sugaree at 10:55 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Good luck with that. My son is 20 months old and he has a mouth full of teeth and he still sucks his. I tried to get him off also but he cried really bad at night and i just couldnt deal with it. Alot of people tell me that it will mess his teeth up but there isnt anything wrong with his teeth. the only times he sucks it is when he cries
    Kalibmommy

Answer by Kalibmommy at 11:52 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Getting my oldest to stop using a pacifier was actually pretty easy...she lost it and we never bought her another one. It was pretty easy with the other kids also.
    Joyzap2003

Answer by Joyzap2003 at 7:19 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• At 10 months, my son was only using them to go to sleep, or to chew on if he was teething. I just stopped giving them to him at bedtime, and began spending a few extra minutes snuggling him instead. Worked like a charm. That said, some children need to suck more/longer than others so I'm not saying ALL children would be ready to give up their pacifier at that age.
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 9:07 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I took it away at age 1 and took it away during the day and gave it only at naps and bedtime, then took it at naptime, then took it at bedtime. he was a tiny bit fussy for a day then was fine.
    strawberryLVR

Answer by strawberryLVR at 9:17 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I wish I had some advice. ABout 10 months our DS was only taking it at naptime and bedtime. He figured out that we were using it to put him to sleep so he started throwing it and crying. so we took it away and he never wanted it again.

I guess try to offer alternatives when he wants it (something to chew on, teething tablets, tylenol) or distract him with some water. Try to limit the times he gets it and slowly weaning it down to nap and bedtime, and then eventually altogether.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 9:27 PM on Jan. 5, 2011