I'm in desperate need of help!

I need like 7k more dollars to go to school to cover extra expenses. I tried to get a loan but I wasn't even qualified to get the loan to get a cosigner. Thats how messed up my credit is :(. School starts in 2 weeks! I dont know what to do, but does ANYONE know anything I can do. Legit grants? Any place I can get help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:53 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Money & Work

• Have you applied through FAFSA?
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 9:58 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• yeah i did and i get like 11,890 but i still need more for other expenses
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:00 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Wow, 11,890 is great, the most I ever got was 1000.00! At this point you probably won't be able to apply for any grants of scholorships that would be in effect for this semester. It is also hard to get loans when you do get that much in fafsa.
    Good Luck!

Hannah Mayr
    http://hannahmayr.blogspot.com
    HannahMayr

Answer by HannahMayr at 10:09 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• for a semester its bout 20k for everything.n so its not a lot.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:18 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Attend a public school, like a community collge

Answer by rkoloms at 11:30 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I would ask at the place that I work at to help cover the rest.
    sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 12:11 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Did you apply for a loan through the financial aid office at your school? They don't usually look at credit.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:12 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• My dd is starting at a community college and transferring to a University in two years. But you have to keep your average up to get into the University. Good luck
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 12:12 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Depending on your age, you may qualify for a Pell grant. There are also various websites that offer little scholarships-- like $500 here and there. You should do a comprehensive search for such scholarships.

Of course, you can do what I did-- I waited tables 40 hours a week and went to school full time-- taking 20-25 credits. I made good money, got a lot of exercise, and was able to keep my loans to a minimum. Most employers understood my position and schedule and were willing to work around it.

Good luck!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 12:17 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Yikes! It may be time to look at a cheaper college.
    If you do find money for this semester how will you pay for school next year?
    Maybe you could sell a car and/or have a garage sale? Could you work out a payment plan with your school and then get a job while you go to school in order to help pay that back?

Sorry you are going through this!
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 1:45 AM on Jan. 5, 2011