Vitiamin D drops for Breastfed babies??

So every doc we have seen has been shoving these drops at me to give to my dd, now 11 months old, im just not sold on them! we got on walks about once a week now since its pretty cold out so she gets some sun light! idk i think its just one more thing for us to freak out and buy! What do you ladies think?

Caroline2010

Asked by Caroline2010 at 10:04 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I didn't use them. I just made sure that even on really cold days, if there was sun shining, I would play with her in the sunbeams.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:20 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Do you use sunblock on her at all? If you do, that hampers the absorption of the Vitamin D by our bodies. Find out what your daughter's levels really are and go from there.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:07 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• My doctor said they push it because BF babies are getting it supplemented but if they spend some time, like 10-15 minutes outside with no sunblock that's that vitamin D is a substantial amount. But any extended amount of time put sun block on :) I did do them momentarily for like 6 months but then when I stopped buying it she told me about the sun and getting vit-d that way so I found the drops to be pointless.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 10:07 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• are = arent**
    DomoniqueWS

• i dont use sun block on our walks! if she was outside for over and hour i would! she has my fair skin, poor thing!
    Caroline2010

Comment by Caroline2010 (original poster) at 10:08 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I've breastfed 4 of my kids and never used them.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 10:09 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I did because I live in the north. People in the north have enough trouble getting enough vit D without adding in all the sunblock and the fact that we keep our kids out of the sun for the most part. Add in the shorter periods of sunlight and the fact that when my kids were babies they could and would go days and days without being outside ... they were necessary for us. If we'd lived farther south I might not have bothered.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 11:19 PM on Jan. 4, 2011