My 4 month old still doesnt sleep through the night...

she is up every 3 hours to eat, she eats 3 ozs every 3 hours throughout the day and night... is there anyway to help her sleep longer! ever since she was a newborn she never slept. not even through the day, she takes very short cat naps like 2 a day

BrookesMommy824

Asked by BrookesMommy824 at 10:27 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• aww ive been there! at 4 months tho u can not expect them to sleep all night! 3 hours is pretty good! do u have a night time routine? or maybe try adding another 1/2 oz she might b still hungry?? my dd woke up every 3 hours from birth to 10months old! it didnt matter wat we did she would not sleep longer! now all the sudden at she sleeps 5 hours straight and drinks a bottle and goes back to bed for another 5 hours! sorry i have no clue wat we did! they just have to learn on their own! good luck!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 10:31 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• My ds was 6 years old the first time he "slept through the night". He used to wake up every night to go pee and then wake me up to tell me he woke up to go pee or wake up to get a drink of water and wake me up to tell me he woke up and got a drink of water!!!! Grrrr!!! It used to drive me absolutely bananas!!!
    Now? I'd give just about anything to have one of those sweet moments back! He's going to turn 18 next month and I have to drag even the tiniest bit of info about his life from him... it's like pulling teeth!!! sigh!!
    Sometimes life is funny like that.
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 10:34 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• sweetie. she is suppose to get up to eat. she is a baby. don't expect it for awhile. i don't know who told you that a 4 month old baby will be sleeping through the night. you can try to increase her formula during the day and make it longer between meals but she will still get up to eat. they have very tiny tummies and lots of growing to do. my pedatrician told me at my first apointment not to expect it for 6month to a year. i know its tiring but it will pass. good luck and enjoy every moment of those night feedings they are gone in a heart beat.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 10:34 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• lol im sad to see all my friends that have had babies after me, their babies are like 2-3 months and have been sleeping through the night, we used to have a schedule but asa we had it down packed she changed it on me lol.she used to be in bed every night by 8pm a bath right b4 but now she fights sleep and goes to bed around 11-12 n is up everyday by7-8 still waking every 3 hours. i tried the half oz more but whenever i give her more to eat she spits up excessively. we go thurs for her 4 month appt im def going to be telling the dr about her spitting up ne thing after 3 oz
    BrookesMommy824

Comment by BrookesMommy824 (original poster) at 10:35 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• yeah i would talk to the doc and drink some coffee!! lol! do u have someone to baby sit so u can get some sleep??? good luck i know its hard!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 10:37 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• my mom helps me when i ask for help but i feel bad asking for help because i feel she is my responsibility, when she offers to take her i feel better than asking her..if that makes sense.
    BrookesMommy824

Comment by BrookesMommy824 (original poster) at 10:38 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I know you are sleep deprived but at 4 months you really can not expect them to sleep through the night...

It will come in time.. Just hang in there and nap when you can :)
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 10:38 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• You are fine! Not all babies are the same. Some will sleep all night and some won't. There's not much you can do. I know my kids did not sleep through the night at 4 years old let alone 4 months old! You know what's going to happen? The first night she does sleep all night, YOU are going to be the one up waiting for her to wake up. It will happen. Try to make the most of it!!
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:46 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Never mind your friends' babies. They are ALL... I guarantee you ALL... going to be paying the no-sleep piper again. Because mom sleeping is a violation of the Mommy Contract. (Teeny tiny print. It also revokes your right to sanity.)

Three ounces actually is normal intake for a lot of babies. Mine also refused more. So mention it but don't stress. You're doing FINE. Only things wrong? You're comparing babies... DON'T... and you're expecting things to be different when they're quite normal. **smile**
    You are doing SO WELL and don't even know it.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:16 PM on Jan. 5, 2011