yet more problems...

day four of life for my mini and breast feeding is going well when i can get him to wake up to eat!
he sleeps a lot and i cannot wake him up enough to eat.
-he is 19 days early- bad
he latches well and I have hit engorgement.-good
i had to take him to the hospital today because he has onset late billy Reuben. he was a 14.2 when he got checked for it and the cut off point is 14. -bad - we have to go back tomorrow to be tested again. - he is pooping and peeing. he was 6lbs and 13 oz at birth and then went down to 6.6 when we left yesterday. Then today went up to 6.7 at the hospital

based on this... what do you think?

MoMoFu

Asked by MoMoFu at 10:54 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• NURSE NURSE NURSE!! It will help his body flush out the bilirubin. Also, if it's warm enough where you live, take him for a walk outside in the sun, because the UV will help as well.
    Congratulations on your new son, and WELL DONE on the breastfeeding!! You can do this!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:57 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Not that I'm an expert, but based on what you said? I think everything sounds fine. They do sleep a lot at first. I know mine did. She ate only small amounts at a time and lost a little weight, that's normal. Unless the doc said something to you to make you think otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it. Bilirubin? Yeah, jaundice isn't great, but a little light works wonders on most of the little devils---my daughter was fine. 19 days early isn't horrible. It sounds like he was baked enough to let you go home with him. :)

My official opinion is that you need to sit down, relax and congratulate yourself on pushing something the size of a watermelon out an opening the size of a lemon. :)

Y'know, unless the people with actual medical degrees tell you something else. Hang in there!
    blu_canary

Answer by blu_canary at 11:02 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• As long as he gets up to his birth weight within 2 weeks after birth I think everything is fine.
    Babies do that, like the other woman said nure alot and you'll flush everything, you yourself eat healthy and everything will be fine!
    Congrats!!
    nowmommyof2

Answer by nowmommyof2 at 11:03 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• i live in iowa so all i can do is windows... it may have been 30 outside today but lol Yea. and YES I know but he will not wake up!!! last time i cried. i have huge boobs and have since puberty. i thought that when i had children that they would come in handy in a very real way but with my first child the milk never came in well enough and i didn't know what i was doing enough. NOW this time i have all this milk and i know what i need to do but i cannot get him to wake up enough to want it!

tell me what i am leaving out..? someone said tap their feet or rub feet - doesnt work - rub cheeks - nothing - change diaper - kind of - take of top - no. i've also tried burping and kissing on the face. he is so sweet and small and quiet unless something is really wrong.

he can and has gone 5 hours without eating though. is it because he's 19 days premature? i need help and suggestion?!
    MoMoFu

Comment by MoMoFu (original poster) at 11:03 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• you guys are great. thank you everyone. a better question would be how long did your babies go without eating? 5 to 6 hours scares me... but maybe ... if that is normal and someone can tell me that it's okay i will be able to chill out alittle bit
    MoMoFu

Comment by MoMoFu (original poster) at 11:06 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I was 3 weeks early, and I'm fine 19 days is normal.
    just try and make him eat every 3 hours, you can wipe his face with a cool wash cloth to wake him up a bit.
    nowmommyof2

Answer by nowmommyof2 at 11:07 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Unless he's eating alot when you do feed him I wouldn't let him go more than 4 hours.
    HE IS FINE DON'T WORRY! :-)
    nowmommyof2

Answer by nowmommyof2 at 11:09 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I think it sounds good! Your milk sounds like it's coming in and now he will start gaining the weight back. Try to wake him to eat, playing with his feet, etc. My baby slept for the first 3 weeks and he was only a week early- oh I miss those days!! Congrats!
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 11:16 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Oops- answered after you did! My baby slept 5-6 hour stretches too, but he ate like crazy.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 11:21 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Babies sometimes sleep through feedings. I wouldn't worry too much about that. To keep him awake during a feeding, you may try undressing him, sitting him upright and playing with him. As long as he's getting 10-15 minutes on the breast, he's likely getting enough. Almost every mom I've worked with has asked me about keeping their baby awake while nursing.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:28 PM on Jan. 4, 2011