I need to throw an affordable birthday party for my 10 year old....Any ideas?

We have always gone bowling or skating in the past, but this year we need to have the party at home. I was thinking I will allow him to invite 10 kids, have pizza and cake, they could play Wii etc. Any other ideas? Fun games for boys this age?
I asked my son and he has nothing.

Aquarius80

Asked by Aquarius80 at 11:19 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Kids at that age want to feel like big kids--aka no parental supervision. So I like the other poster's idea-- set out the food, turn on the music, and let them play Wii with you in your room listening for trouble but otherwise letting them have a blast. Maybe for your son's birthday you buy or rent some popular games so there's some variety, and perhaps borrow, rent, or buy an extra controller or two so more can participate at the same time?

I think my brother had a bunch of friends over for backyard camping, too... and his birthday is in March.. and it was in Colorado...with snow...
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 11:33 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I was going to suggest a sleepover/campout (depending on where you are). But not with that many kids. My son's b-day is in July and for the past 3 years we've set up the tent with an old tv, the ps2, snacks and let them loose. He usually has 3 - 4 kids over, which is lots.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 11:38 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• My son's favorite birthdays were the ones where we just stayed home and he was allowed to invite lots of friends over and they just played videogames and card games like Yugioh or Magic the Gathering. And of course, we had plenty of snacks and sodas and a meal and cake and ice cream. We suggested that friends bring their cards and PlayStations or XBox and games and controllers. They had a blast and we had fun listening from the next room and interacting at meal time.
    ChezBelle

Answer by ChezBelle at 11:39 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I say just bring turn on the music (whatever it is they listen to), set out the food, turn on the movies or Wii and let them loose!
    Anonymous