Down syndrome??

I watch my best friend struggle all of the time... she loves her child, I love him too. However, having a child who is mental handicapped is so much harder... She said when she was pregnant with him, he moved around a LOT... Well I'm 30 weeks and my baby moves around a LOT too... So I'm scared... I know I will love my child no matter what, but I don't think I would be able to handle it... I've been through too much, recently lost my father and a lot of bad things have happened the last two years. I just don't think I can mentally handle it.... Does anyone have a child with down syndrome? How did he/she act when you were pregnant?

sissy0604

Asked by sissy0604 at 11:38 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I don't have a child with a mental illness, but down syndrome would be the least of my worries compared to other illnesses. My baby moved around a lot too, ths means the baby is active, healthy and alive.
    Aquarius80

Answer by Aquarius80 at 11:40 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• My first two children didn't stop moving in the womb and they are perfectly normal kids. Unless your doctor has told you that your baby possibly has Downs Syndrome, you should not worry about it. The likelihood that it wouldn't show up in the prenatal tests is highly improbable.

Big hugs... try to relax.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:41 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• If YOUR baby had down syndrome, an ultrasound would have found it by now. There is a vertabre in the neck that is distorted. My friend has a DS child and she said her preganacy was no different than the others.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:41 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Movement in the womb is not an indicator of mental disability. Stop worrying yourself unnecessarily, Your ultrasound would more than likely have caught DS.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 11:43 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Thanks. I didn't know that about the vertebra...
    sissy0604

Comment by sissy0604 (original poster) at 11:45 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• You usually have a blood test at 16 weeks to test for abnormal AFP. If it came back okay, don't worry about it. If nothing has been said by your doctor, things should be normal. The younger you are the less odds you have of having a child with Down's Syndrome. My youngest son has it, I love that child, I wouldn't want anything to be any different than he is now. He's very special and loves everyone. Don't let your anxiety get the best of you.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 11:49 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I agree with messageof hope. DS children are adorable, happy, loving kids! My mom taught special ed for years. I always loved the DS kids!

Yes, most women are higher risk with age, but my friend was 19. All her other pregnancies were normal. She didn't do the AFP though, they did ultrasound measurments and found it. So relax. The doctor will tell you if there is a concern for that. Good luck momma!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:54 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Please do not worry yourself dear,talk to a nurse or your Doctor .Just because the baby is active means the baby is alive ,like all the others have said.I'd swear when i was pregnant mine were gona be roller skaters! I lost sleep because mine were so active.And they are all fine.Best wishes!!
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 1:04 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Yeah- Increased movement is not a sign of DS
    melissasue38

Answer by melissasue38 at 11:35 AM on Jan. 5, 2011