Starting a business

Has anyone started their own bussiness in the Kansas area and have tips. I want to start a cake business but am not sure how to get started. So any tips would be great. I also have four kids and another job that I have to work until i start making money.

babygirl9669

Asked by babygirl9669 at 11:45 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Money & Work

• I would work at a local (but a town away from where you want to open yours) cake business to get a feel for how someone else runs it. Maybe the owner would like to help you figure things out.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 11:48 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I would post on craigslist and local wedding boutique's.

sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 12:04 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• rkoloms

Answer by rkoloms at 12:28 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Will this be a home based business? If so, then you need to check with your local and state laws about home kitchens. Some states require an inspection while other states require a separate kitchen completely and even some states don't permit a home kitchen. You can call your local health department to find out more information on this.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:27 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Yes, be careful with a food-based business, in addition, there will be a business license with the city or county you are in. Capital is the key when starting a business - it does not sound like you have the extra $ for that.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 1:32 PM on Jan. 5, 2011