Food stamps

Hi, moms

I am about to become a single mom and hubby is going to give me child support money plus some extra cash to pay our credit cards. He said he would like to give me what he can without asking government assistant (cash). I guess because the government is going to be after him. Anyway, I was talking to a friend and she said that I still qualify for food stamps, since I am only going to be working 35 hrs a week and he is going to give me $700-800 a month for child support.

Does anyone know if it is true? that I can ask for food stamps as well as Medical for them?

Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:47 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Money & Work

• you can ask yea...in AZ you can't get cash unless you have like no income. Every state has different rules and income guidelines. Like depending what you make but to me 800 a mos in child support and working would dissqualify food stamps but depends how many kids you have too and what you make.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 11:50 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• No, you can try but I would be surprised bc I was a single mom on assistance before and I didn't get child support even with a court order and one child with a job making only 300 week before taxes and insurance. I had a schedule that only allowed me to work 30 to 35 hours a week. The dhs said that I made to much money for food stamps. GL
    sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 11:53 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I don't want to ask for cash, I just want to get food stamps until I am in my feet. I'm not working yet, so I will be living with just what he gives me until, I'm back to work.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:53 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• They will go buy what you have in the bank account and cash in your wallet.
    sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 11:54 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I didn't think about food stamps until my friend told me. I believe it will be really hard to get them, like you guys said it. NO INCOME=food stamps. Thanks
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:56 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• Not having a job and depending on how many dependants has a lot to do with whether or not you qualify.

sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 11:56 PM on Jan. 4, 2011

• I'd start working RIGHT AWAY...I mean you are a single mom.
    Anonymous

• I work at the community college (part-time), so right now it is close (Christmas break) and I am planning to go back to work as soon as possible but I am planning on leaving my husband by the end of the month and I just want to make sure I am going to be cover until I get my check.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:02 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• um..idk. child support counts are income. but i think it is wrong to quit working just so you can get FS. (the whole No Income=food stamps.)
    sunflower1986

Answer by sunflower1986 at 12:05 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• @ sunflower1986, I'm sorry I didn't mean to say that. There is no way I am going to quit my job to live off food stamps. I was just wondering If i can get the extra help until my check kicks in.

I'm going to be a single mom and provide to my children. I will have to work more and be with them less time but I know it is going to be worth it at the end.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:08 AM on Jan. 5, 2011