Milestones

My son is 10 1/2 months old and I have some concerns about his milestones. To date, he doesn't point or wave, clap, or respond and act according to a "command" (pet the doggie, gentle, or YAY!). He responds to "no" for the most part, and he knows his name. I have talked to his pedi and she isn't concerned. My thing is though, that she says that babies don't normally CRAWL until 8-9 months, and are barely waving by 12 months. Um, really? I am a mamber of www.whattoexpect.com and they always send out little articles on milestones or anything relative to a childs age. They said that crawling starts at 6-7 months (DS was right on time), cruising 9-10 months (again, right on time), but clapping and waving were around 6-8 months. DS has not even showed remote signs of doing these. Does anyone know of a good website or some kind of resource with ACCURATE milestone checklists?'

I know every kid is different, and that milestones have a time RANGE not a time limit, and thats fine. As long as my son hits these things on time (whether early or late in the "normal" range, it is still normal) I am not worried. But these clapping and waving and pointing milestones? He is late.

I would appreciate the help. I just don't see how babies starting to crawl at 8 months is early. Thanks guys.

CalebsMommy0220

Asked by CalebsMommy0220 at 11:57 PM on Jan. 4, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Some babies focus on gross motor skills and hang back on the fine, some focus on fine and are "late" on gross.

Sounds like your little guy is ahead of the curve on gross motor skills, so expect the other stuff.... fine motor skills, verbal skills, etc... the lag a little.

That said, I don't think clapping and waving are milestones and wouldn't gage anything by them. Crawling isn't even a true milestone because some babies skip it.

Take my first son, he didn't crawl until 11 months or wave until at least 19-20 months. Is he delayed? Absolutely not... neither of those things means anything! A child has to be pretty severely delayed for it to indicate an issue. I mean, if he weren't sitting unassisted by 10 months... yea, be worried. Other than that, don't worry about it or focus on it. It's all just opinion anyway, you will get 14 different answers to what he "should" be doing.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:12 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• my twins didnt start waving until like 12 months really. and clapping was like 10/11 months
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 12:04 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Elsa- what about pointing? That was supposed to happen from 8-10is months.
    CalebsMommy0220

Comment by CalebsMommy0220 (original poster) at 12:06 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Wow thanks Leanne! I appreciate it! That makes so much sense, and honestly has curved my worries significantly. THANKS AGAIN!!!
    CalebsMommy0220

Comment by CalebsMommy0220 (original poster) at 12:18 AM on Jan. 5, 2011