dry scalp/ craddle cap? what did you use to help it?

my daughter had it really bad, now my baby boy is starting to get it... just not as bad yet. i don't want it to get bad.. any suggestions? I have been using burt's bees baby oil.. which seems to help but hasn't really made it go away

young-not-dumb

Asked by young-not-dumb at 12:31 AM on Jan. 5, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• stay away from baby oil, cradle cap is a build up of dry skin and oil, wash, massage in soap and brush roots/scalp with soap in hair, daily for a couple weeks.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 12:33 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• my daughter had this also.. my doctor told me not to really mess with it... i used baby lotion.. it helped alot i used it 2 times a day when she woke up and when she went to bed.. try it and see how it goes

niftymisty

Answer by niftymisty at 12:33 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Sounds about right. Only time will make it go away. You can use the baby oil or olive oil to help, but it won't make it go away any faster. Try not to mess with it too much, or it can make it worse. I promise it bothers you more than anyone else, including him! =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:33 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• scratch it off (gently of course) and try mineral or olive oil..if it gets severe ask your doctor
    stylinmomma88

Answer by stylinmomma88 at 12:33 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• no do not scratch it off it will make marks.. i just had this problem with my daughter and my doctor advised me not to pick or scratch it off.. you dont wanna mess with it to much use lotion and it will go away
    niftymisty

Answer by niftymisty at 12:36 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I don't think you're supposed to use oil to remove it. I think oil, combined with dead cells, is what forms the cradle cap. I used the shampoo in the blue bottles Mustela? it's fancy stuff that's more expensive than your average baby shampoo, but it sure worked. I also got a little scrub brush that I used to massage my son's head whenever I shampooed his hair. It gently scrubs the scales off. He started to get a little case of it, but I used that stuff whenever I bathed him, and it never got worse, got better, and never had it again.

good luck!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 12:37 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Thats just what i did with my daughter...and once i scratched it (or combed it out with a fine tooth comb) it never came back. I also learned about it in school. its just greasy scales of skin.
    stylinmomma88

Answer by stylinmomma88 at 12:38 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• i never tried a toothbrush....
    niftymisty

Answer by niftymisty at 12:44 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• baby oil and a ccomb i had to do this with my youngest daughter put the baby oil on and use the comd to get it off of babys scalp then give a bath when finished best of luck to ya
    mom_of_2_girlz

Answer by mom_of_2_girlz at 6:18 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Ok this is what I did with my babies. I warmed up a little olive oil and you rub a little on the spot and scratch gently with comb. Then you need to give the baby a bath. I did it twice and it never came back.
    Deb79

Answer by Deb79 at 9:14 PM on Jan. 5, 2011