Is West Sacramento a bad area?

My husband and i are thinking about him going to Wyo Tech school after he gets out of the army. we are originally from Southern california but living in washington state right now. The other option is Arizona but hes taking into consideration on Wyo Tech. Arizona for UTI college.

Wyo Tech is in West sacramento, we never been there so we dont know. I see some very nice apartments for cheap but we dont know if its a good area to live. we also have 3 children. As of now my oldest is 6 years old in 1st grade going to 2nd this sept. My 4 year old is in preschool going on to kinder sept 2011. and we have a 8 month old son. we want a good schooling system, good area. close by etc. I dont drive or plan to drive. Its a personal choice i made. I have extreme anxiety and my husband has to be able to take them and pick them up. Unless the school is directly across the apartment we are living. I pick up my kids the same way here. the school is directly across my apartment. takes me 5 mins. Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Jan. 5, 2011 in Money & Work

• I don't know about the schools, but my brother and his wife live in Elk Grove, most of which is pretty new, and pretty nice. Davis is also nice, but it's a college town (UC Davis). It's very bike friendly, and pretty laid back. I may be heading that way soon myself! Good luck with your search! Here's a bump for you! =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:39 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Check on city-data.com. They have forums dedicated to specific areas and you can check the median income, etc... also, greatschools.net for school ratings.

I live in Fremont and we have a wyotech across from our neighborhood... you'd be paying 1200/mo for a 2br if you were *really* lucky, though and probably not close to the school. You could easily get within walking distance of an elementary school, though.

LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:50 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• LeanneC- thanks for the info. our bah is 1270 and we pay 1200 for rent off post now. We want to pay something cheap obviously. That will be too much for us but i need to know how much he would get for fremont zip code for BAH. his Post 9/11 money is going towards rent every month
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:56 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Here's the calculator for the Post-9/11 GI Bill.  You can look up the school with it and see how much you'll be getting with that.

musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:00 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I live in Sacramento and West Sac is not that bad depends where you would live...The only bad area i know of in West Sac is Broderick..thats a VERY BAD area but i think where Wyo tech is at thats a great area...hope this helps
    Mrs.Norris

Answer by Mrs.Norris at 3:53 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• West Sac has some newer development/fast growth but still has some crime/gang-related problems.

Contact the Chamber of Commerce and they could help direct you ...

http://www.westsacramentochamber.com/

tasches

Answer by tasches at 1:28 PM on Jan. 5, 2011