Is it wrong to be on food stamps and take a $5000 vacation?

My neighbor was telling me about this great vacation that she is about to take with her kids. She told me it is gonna run her about $5000 and she said that she has the money because she went on food stamps last year. So for the past year, she has been putting the money she was spending on food and now is using it as a vacation. Now, I am all for taking your kids on vacation, I take my dd to Disney World every year (we live in Fl) but would you say this is taking advantage of the system? She has 4 children and she gets $650 a month in food stamps, she also gets medicade for all 5 of them AND the 3 of her kids who are in school get free lunch. She says she makes ok money as a waitress, but as she works for mostly tips, she doesn't have to tell them when she is applying all that she is making, which is how she gets so much and there is no way to prove that she does it. I am all for people getting help when they need it but is she taking advantage at this point?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on Jan. 5, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Wow that is almost sick to think that someone uses the system like that. I was a manager at a grocery store and it made me sick to think that people on food stamps would have full carts or more than one full cart and it was all pop and boxed food and cookies. The wost part was the expensive fish, shrimp, and lobster they would buy. My family is not poior but we cant afford that and i have had to budget food spending very close before. It is a shinning example if how flawed the sytem is and how easyly it can be abused. Food for thought you wonder why the middle class or the tax paying people have to pay to much to support the lazy or just pathetic people who thinks it fun to spoong of others. I guess in thier defense they are too simple minded to even think about where there FREE money comes from. Life lesson nothing is free in life. Wow how the tables have turned in this country.
    Whitney810

Answer by Whitney810 at 1:05 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I wish I could have a year off and get my groceries paid for AND take a 5000.00 vacation on top of it! Man, I'm doing something wrong!!! Why telegraph it if you do, I swear, I don't understand people and their logic!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 12:57 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• tell you friend that she husband got laid off that she is not alone and all she can due is hang in there. I think one of lifes hardest lessons is that life is not fare and it seems like the honest and trustworthy to strive for better and dont use and abuse everyone to get things in life are the ones who struggle the most but i think that we are the ones that go to sleep at night and can look in the mirror and always like what we see. Too me at least that is so much more comforting than a new T.V. I dont know if you or your freind are beleivers but God dose not put things in our paths that he dose not think we can handle. He also always comes through just when you think you can not hold on any longer
    Whitney810

Answer by Whitney810 at 1:11 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• In Texas when I had my sons on medicaid, there was a limit for how much money you had saved up. If you had either a couple of thousand or five thousand, you were not eligible to receive food stamps/medicaid. She is lying to the state and I think that is horribly wrong. Yes, of course it is a wonderful thing to take kids on vacation, but to be dishonest and save up government money she obviously does not need is very wrong in my opinion.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 12:54 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Yes she does have to report tips, just like she is supposed to report them to the IRS! This is beyond wrong! I know someone who totally takes advantage of the system, it just plain pisses me off! I do not think our current economy can take much more of this!
    Noosa

Answer by Noosa at 12:55 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• there's NO gray area here! IT IS WRONG!! Assistance in ANY way IS NOT so you can do extra things that you WANT TO DO!!! People need help sometimes and that is why these programs are there and I think it is great that they are there. But people have abused the system and that is why so many are getting a negative attitude about the system. My dh and I both work full time jobs, he has MS, (he could try to work the system to get disability but right now it is not needed even though he has bad days) yet we have had to skip the last two years of taking any sort of vacation because we can't afford it and with the ms he needs all his time off for when he is sick, so hearing this kind of stuff pisses me off! What is she teaching her kids?? People blame the government for everything yet it is the everyday people who have decided to take advantage.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 6:00 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I too woked in a grocery store years ago and saw how ppl were taking advantage of food stamps. I often heard them bragging about how easy it was to fool the government. Most ppl I know that are struggling that are hard-working ppl WILL NOT sign up for food stamps because they don't want to be looked at as someone who mooches off the tax payers, because the reality is that is what a lot of ppl on food stamps are doing, same thing with WIC and Medicare!!!! There is great pride to say you have WORKED for what you have. If I were you OP, I would report your "friend" to the state and the IRS. Sometimes Uncle Sam gives some $ to you for reporting. GL
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:16 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Sounds like fraud to me, especially because she's not even reporting what she really makes. She is taking advantage of free help that maybe someone else could use. If she has the money leftover to save, then she doesn't NEED food stamps!
    luvr4ula

Answer by luvr4ula at 1:56 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• This is a major gray area. It's nice that she can take them but if she went off of it there would be more funds for someone who can't survive without it.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 12:51 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I dunno about 'wrong' but certainly displays a raging sense of entitlement that is, well... pretty human, really. I hope she lives near Wall Street, or maybe the auto industry --she'd fit right in.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:00 AM on Jan. 5, 2011