can holding my one week old son spoil him...

my mother in law keeps scolding me every time she sees me holding my son for longer than 10 mins. she tells me i am going to spoil him...i understand when he gets a bit older and i hold him all the time but this early???

aboocher09

Asked by aboocher09 at 1:01 AM on Jan. 5, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No! You cannot spoil a newborn. Hold your little one as much as you can, because everytime you put them down they grow.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 1:04 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• It is all personal opinions. I believe a baby needs that attention and to be held, to feel loved.. I also believe though it is good for a baby to cry to help build their lungs.
    BraydinsMommy09

Answer by BraydinsMommy09 at 1:04 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Oh my gosh NO! Hold that baby as much as you want! If I could still hold my 9 y/o dd I would!
    Noosa

Answer by Noosa at 1:05 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• No, holding a baby is the best way to bond with them.
    jessran1218

Answer by jessran1218 at 1:05 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Uhm NO! Babies thrive on love and attention. Especially from their mommy! He has been connected to you for 9 months. Feeling you holding him will only increase his sense of security and make him a much better baby. My motto has always been you cannot spoil a child with love or attention. They can never get enough. Do what feels right for you and your son. Only YOU know what that is. Being a Mom seems to give you a stamp on your forehead that says PLEASE GIVE ME UNSOLICITED advice. Smile and nod, thank them for their advice. Use it if you want, and do it your own way if you don't. Enjoy that baby and these moments. He'll be on the go before you know it and you won't get to hold him even if you want too! The first year goes MUCH too fast!
    Heatherdm45

Answer by Heatherdm45 at 1:07 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• i read in a book that it builds trust and she argued with me telling me i shouldnt believe everything i read.
    aboocher09

Comment by aboocher09 (original poster) at 1:07 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• It most certainly builds trust! I think that's nearly proven. Not some off the wall parenting advice!
    Heatherdm45

Answer by Heatherdm45 at 1:09 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• pick him up when ever you want you are his mother you are not spoiling your teach him that you love him no matter what
    and tell mom to back off tell her you rise this child your way and do it 10min is not spoiling him now if you holding him 24hrs a day it still is not spoiling first child we just don't want to put them down
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 1:09 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• In the wild, babies are never put down --usually because of the imminent danger of tigers, snakes, scorpions, tigers and alligators, not to mention raiders, coyotes, dingos and eagles --for the first year at least.

I find people who are really concerned about how long babies are held need a hug. Probably a whole year of them.

In holding a baby, you accomplish with ease a number of really complex and difficult tasks: proprioception (baby's sense of place in space, which contributes to coordination and balance); building neural networks and speeding the development of myelin --the sheathing necessary for nerves of all kinds to function properly; and a greatly improved communication from baby to mother... so much so that carried babies develop language earlier and much more readily than babies who spend a lot of time in swings, strollers, carseats, bouncy chairs or cribs.

Oh, and an improved (normal) immune system for the baby
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:12 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• NO, NO, NO. A THOUSAND TIMES NO!!! Can you tell I feel strongly about this? Anyhow, here is an article I just read today on the subject:
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/10/061027184248.htm

You and your husband need to (gently) tell your MIL to butt out.
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 1:17 AM on Jan. 5, 2011