Dependency?

My son used to be really cranky and he would cry all the time, for seemingly no reason. My friend suggested trying gas drops. I bought them, and it seemed like as soon as he took them, he was better and was able to finally sleep for more than 3 hours at night. He now sleeps for 5 hours, wakes to eat, then sleeps for 4 more. We ran out the other day and he was crying for such a long time yesterday. I was gonna go out and get some more meds. but my husband said that he didn't need it, that he was becoming dependent on it. I do not think that its possible for a baby to become dependent on gas drops. Do any of you think that this is possible? Should I stop giving him the medicine?

aserran4

Asked by aserran4 at 3:25 PM on Nov. 11, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would be more worried about the reason he is gassy in the first place, if he's on formula you should talk to your doctor about possibly switching him to another formula. If your nursing it could be something you're eating. Also if you nursing he may not be latching properly and getting air in his little tummy and if on the bottle definitely try Dr. Brown's bottles they are AMAZING. I would also try keeping him upright for a bit after eating to make sure all the air gets out, some little guys are hard to burp. And if the gas medicine is helping him by all means give it to him!
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 3:29 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• No, they cannot become dependant on gas drops. You do need to think about changing his formula though.. This accounts for alot of the reason for their gas at that age.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 3:31 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• he is formula fed and i do make it a point to keep him upright after a feeding. he started on the enfamil lipil formula and that made him constipated so we switched him to similac sensitive. but i will talk to the doctor and look into dr. brown's bottles. thank you!
    aserran4

Answer by aserran4 at 3:32 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Also, for a fussy baby, go to La Leche League's site. They have a LOT of really expert, detailed advice for helping a baby who can't get to sleep or relax & be comfortable. ... A LOT. Go explore !!
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 3:59 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• My daughter was like that and I put her on Gentlease and she did 100% better. But, they can't become dependent on gas drops
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 4:30 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• my son was a bit colicy and i gave him the drops all the time! it really helped! and i was worried too so i asked the doc and she said it was fine if he needed them! like other moms said try changing formula to get rid of the gas in the first place! i changed formulas alot to try and help my son and finally similac sensitive helped him!
    mommydabbs

Answer by mommydabbs at 7:28 PM on Nov. 11, 2008