HELP ASAP!!!!!

My son's father served me. He is filled a petition for child custody. He is leaving physical custody to me but he is asking for joint legal custody. Should I agree to it or should i decline???? He is leaving to New york in a week for a 2 years at the least.and my son and I live in california. I do not want to give him legal custody because he left me when he found out i was pregnant, he tried to get me to abort the whole pregnancy or to give up for adoption. And he comes to see him a few times a week right now that he is here, but he will leave next week so wont be here to help raise our son.

help please
thanks

AndyAyden

Asked by AndyAyden at 2:10 AM on Jan. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• Honey, get a lawyer! For sure!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:11 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• hahah thanks but should i decline to legal custody and just wait for out court hearing?
    AndyAyden

Comment by AndyAyden (original poster) at 2:12 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Seriously, seek legal counsel, or at least, go to a legal clinic tomorrow and give them the details. They can help you figure out the right move. Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:16 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• joint legal custody shouldn't be a problem, if he is allowing you to have placement then you should allow him to have joint legal custody because all that really does is allow him to have an equal say in education, religion, medical, etc. There really is no harm in that
    NessGuinness

Answer by NessGuinness at 2:20 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Yea i would say its not that bad let him get joint custody and than get him for alimony an child support and get a dna test for baby #2 an call it a day good luck momma :)
    premiemom18

Answer by premiemom18 at 2:29 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Thanks everyone. WAIT there is no baby number 2 lol
    AndyAyden

Comment by AndyAyden (original poster) at 2:32 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Answer the petition denying shared custody. When you go to court, the judge will ask you why you don't think your son's father should have shared custody and all you have to say is that he is leaving the state and won't be around anyway and hasn't been around before. Say you have no problem with visitation but at this point share custody doesn't make sense
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 8:43 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• If he is the one that left you, and recently wanted you to get an abortion, DECLINE. It's hard to take kids away from their moms and if you go into court and tell them what you said on here, I think he'd have a hard time getting joint custody. How would joint custody work when you guys live on opposite sides of the country anyway?
    sarabur420

Answer by sarabur420 at 12:28 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I was kind of in the same situation,i got pregnant at 16 n my baby dad denied my baby. He wanted me to have an abortion, but didn't i had a beautiful baby boy with the help of my family we had a great life.when my son was 3 my family and i moved to philly. Now my son is 14, my son dad ran into my sister n she gave him my number he had the nerve to call me and ask "how's our son' i told him off and change my number the same day. so you should tell this man where he can stick it good luck girl.
    soraya14

Answer by soraya14 at 8:36 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• "Answer the petition denying shared custody. When you go to court, the judge will ask you why you don't think your son's father should have shared custody and all you have to say is that he is leaving the state and won't be around anyway and hasn't been around before. Say you have no problem with visitation but at this point share custody doesn't make sense"

-----There is a difference between shared/joint custody and shared/joint placement.  Custody is having a say in the child's life, placement is where the child lives so asking for shared custody does make sense, placement wouldn't

NessGuinness

Answer by NessGuinness at 3:08 AM on Jan. 6, 2011