Should "The Pill" be sold over the counter?

Personally, I think it's a bad idea..just like I thought Plan B was a bad idea. The pill has a lot more risks than cough medicine or vitamins. Plus, I think women, especially young women who think they have their whole life ahead of them before they have to think about HPV or cancer, won't go in for regular exams.

I would post a link for you, ladies, but I could not find one that wasn't completely biased...so you'll need to do a little of your own research on this one, and give it some real thought.
I would love to hear what you think...

brandyj

Asked by brandyj at 2:17 AM on Jan. 5, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree with you. Too many health risks.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 2:18 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• There are health risk but i think if teens are able to purchase it on their own they would be less likely to get prego, girls find it embarassing having the "TALK" with their parents especially with dads Awkwars lol anywho i think it should be i am sure they will be made aware of the risk
    Marie_07

Answer by Marie_07 at 2:21 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• So many reasons why I think it is wrong. I think somehow, someway, in all 50 states sex ed should be a MANDATORY class in middle school and high school again. I don't mean a chapter in a book that's brieftly touched on in health class either. I'm talking a full semester, if not TWO semesters, once in middle school, again in hs. There are so many ppl who have no idea how to calculate a due date or even know when they're period is due, ovulation, STDS, you name it. There are actually health care proffessionals(usually nurses) that will come to a school and bring videos and pamphlets SHOWING what each STD looks like. It's not pretty. They also sometimes show a live birth with no medication-up close and personal. I think this i what teens should have to see. Forget the whole taking an egg home, sack of flour, or even a doll.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:31 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Withthat being said, it starts at HOME teaching about sex ed and if you don't bring the subject up with your child early on and keep it an on-going conversation then you have no right to complain when jr. knocks up his gf or gets and std.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:32 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• SweetLove... I completely agree. I had to see those pictures and see that video in early high school... NOT pretty. But one thing that wasn't really covered then, and is dwindling more and more these days.. is that abstinence is the only 100% effective way. I just don't understand why abstinence advocates get laughed at. Teens ARE capable of controlling themselves...they just aren't properly motivated to do so. But I digress....
    brandyj

Comment by brandyj (original poster) at 2:37 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I would have to say no, not a good idea
    firelites

Answer by firelites at 3:15 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I agree with SweetLove, too. I DO think BCPs should be easy to access, WITH a doctor's prescription. I think it's great that minors don't necessarily HAVE to get consent from their parents, since some girls don't have parents that they can talk to about that. I think parents SHOULD take it upon themselves to have The Talk with their kids, regardless of gender. They should cover birth control, STDs, how sex works, and what their family's stance is on sex. It's never too early to start this conversation.
    I disagree that abstinence only education should be taught. I do agree that it should be taught that only abstinence is 100% effective, but I think kids need to be taught how to be responsible should they decide otherwise. They need to be able to talk to their parents if they don't wait, too, so that they can be honest with them about birth control and other issues, but I know this isn't always reality.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:17 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• its a drug just like valium, percocet etc.... BUT dont you worry, Government wants to completely run your life so soon cereal, healthy food, vitamins and herbs will be banned for health without prescription.

IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 4:00 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I'm really on the fence about it. If it was possible for there to be one pill that worked the same for everyone, then yes I think it should be available OTC, sort of. But, because we all react differently to different pills, no I don't think it should be available OTC. Personally, I think that once a girl becomes sexually active, she shouldn't have to have parental consent to get BC, so if that was changed, I think that the teen pregnancy rate would drop. I was one of only a few girls in high school that was on the pill or some form of BC (I was on it for health reasons, though, not sex), and every girl that got pregnant (I think we had about 15 while I was in HS for 3 years) was never on any type of BC and relied solely on condoms, if the guy had one. Birth control should be available more easily for everyone, IMO. Sorry if I'm babbling and not making sense! My brain isn't working yet.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 4:45 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• No I don;t think it should be. I think it should only be given as a prescription following a gynecological exam. Because of the education that is needed in understanding how the pill works, how to properly take it, and the associated side effects/risks.

Girls that are "uncomfortable" talking to a grown up--which could be the school nurse, their gynecologist, a trusted teacher, the mother of one of her friends, etc, in my opinion, is NOT ready for sex!! Period, end of subject!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:40 AM on Jan. 5, 2011