What foods NOT to cook....

Hi moms

This is a question for all the moms that like to cook on a crock pot.

What dishes or food should I NOT cook in it? it is possible to cook anything in it? I'm just wondering because I heard a lot of good things about cooking in the crock pot. What is your opinion?

bratgirln1

Asked by bratgirln1 at 2:45 AM on Jan. 5, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Almost anything can be made in the crock pot! I wouldn't put a steak in there, but I'm sure other moms may disagree.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:56 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Although DH says never to cook pork or chicken in mine ever again, yeah you can make just about anything!! My crock pot sucks though because it overcooks EVERYTHING. I even tried cooking it 1/2 the time it said and it still burned everything up. What's the use of having a crock pot you have to babysit? You can't leave the house & come back & have dinner ready?? Eventually I found out the brand I have, Rival, is notorious for overcooking everything. :\ Time for a new one, I guess.
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 3:17 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• There's an awesome group on here called "Crock Pot Moms". They post weekly recipes you can use your crock pot EVERY DAY for a week!! It's wonderful.
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 3:18 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• i cook any and everything in my crock pot needless to say i own three of them my fav is swiss steak in the crock pot
    mom_of_2_girlz

Answer by mom_of_2_girlz at 5:48 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• They are lifesavers sometimes.
    I've done Marsala Chicken (which is on Crock Pot Moms).... and even Chocolate Cake. Yummy
    MrsDAP

Answer by MrsDAP at 7:29 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• There's really nothing you can't cook in a crockpot - unless the texture of the resulting food is supposed to be crunchy or browned.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:47 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I've never heard of anything that can't be cooked in a crock pot. Maybe a salad, since that will get nasty ;). Pasta you have to be careful about, but it's doable, rice isn't as fussy.

OH OH OH - NEVER cook dry kidney beans in a crock pot without boiling them on the stove for a while first! I just heard that one! Nothing wrong with any other bean going straight in, but kidney beans release some sort of toxin when they're boiled and the crock pot doesn't boil them, holds that toxin in, and can make you really really sick!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Thank you mom for all your comments. I really appreciate your time of posting your answers.
    bratgirln1

Comment by bratgirln1 (original poster) at 12:36 AM on Jan. 6, 2011