Baby is so sick =(

Well I finally went to the ER last night, and they diagnosed my 11month old babygirl with The flu (influenza A) AND a slight case of pneumonia. =( It's 315AM, and she is up coughing, and crying. I am a wreck, any suggestions on how to make my widdle one feel better? I feel so bad for her, even to comfort her a little more would make me feel better.

please send out prayers that she gets better soon!!!!

knicole0708

Asked by knicole0708 at 3:15 AM on Jan. 5, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• :( I'm so sorry mama. If you haven't already, a humidifier? And just hold that baby close and rock her and sing. A cool washcloth wiped on the face always makes mine feel better, that's the first thing I go for when she falls & gets an "owie"... usually she's all better before I have to run & get the baby Tylenol for the "BIG owies". :) Tonight she had one because she was twirling and twirling (she's now 2 1/2) and she fell right onto her Zhu Zhu pet princess house thing and got some NASTY boo-boos on her butt. The cool washcloth saved the day.
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 3:24 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Thanks MamaLisa! I gave her some motrin to ease any pain i'm sure she's feeling, her cough sounds HORRIBLE and sounds like it hurts!! I gave her some pedialite, and she fell back asleep. I am going to try the cool washcloth next time, hopefully that will make her feel a little at ease. I hope ur daughter feels better in the morning!
    knicole0708

Comment by knicole0708 (original poster) at 3:29 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Also this sounds crazy but it works. Because of DH's work we moved down to a "down-home country town" and our neighbors there told me (when DD was about the same age as yours now) when she got a bad cough to get some baby Vick's vapo-rub and put it on the bottom of her feet before bed with socks. The next morning I swear to you she was at leat 50% better. Those down-home country remedies are nothing to laugh at. :D
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 3:33 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Thank you btw!! :) I'm glad she's back asleep now... for both your sake.
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 3:35 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Well that's easy as 1-2-3, i am def. going to try that. I actually bought some babyvicks last night, and forgot to put it on her chest and back!!! thanks for reminding me lol! i hope that works!!!!
    knicole0708

Comment by knicole0708 (original poster) at 3:36 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Saline drops for the nose if its stuffy. I suggest alternating between Tylenol and Motrin...it works better that way drs say. Keep her propped up in bed if she's stuffy too. When my lo is sick, she can only sleep if she is upright laying with dh in a recliner. She took to that from day one when we brought her home from the hospital nearly 3 years ago and now Daddy is her go-to when she is restless at night lol. Wrapped around her little finger...
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:37 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Sweet - Saline drops,...please don't remind me of that nightmare again LOL (only kidding!) I have a nebulizer from her older sister, i'm going to give that a try, hopefully that will help with her coughing, its raspy! I've done the humidifier, and i cannot prop her up because i'm scared she will suffocate on the pillow, but during the day when I'm awake, i will def. do that, THANKS!!!! I never thought to prop her up, but DUH...when u have a stuffy nose lol and oh -- of course shes got him wrapped around her little finger!!!! thts how it works lol
    knicole0708

Comment by knicole0708 (original poster) at 3:44 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I just thought of something, if your dd sleeps in a crib and you are worried about suffocating on a pillow, why not roll up some blankets or sheets or towels and put them under the fitted sheet that is already on the crib mattress? That way its elevating her head? That's what they told me to do with ds when he was a baby and had GERD.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:58 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• When my babies had that bad cough I would turn on the water in the shower to make lots of steam and sit in there with them. Really helped them and I got a great facial! Vicks vapor rub on the chest and then put a tight shirt on to help it rub in. Babies are so amazing... they can be so sick and then they get better quickly. Thank goodness she is feeling better!!!!!
    Librarylady60

Answer by Librarylady60 at 7:01 AM on Jan. 5, 2011