Why do YOU buy bottled water? (Not a bash post, just curiostiy)

I really don't care how anyone gets their water lol, I'm just wondering what others reasons are for buying bottled.

We didn't buy it until we started getting letter from the county about water contamination and how something in our water has been linked to several thousand cases of cancer over the past few years. We've gotten 2+ letters like that every year since 2008. If we ever move or stop getting those letters, we'll switch back to a filter and tap.

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 4:40 AM on Jan. 5, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I read that online what you are talking about. Some chemical in the water....it was the same one they talked about in the Erin Brockevich(sp?) movie. We buy bottled water that is spring water because there is just no way of knowing what the heck is in tap water these days. Also, I think tap water tastes horrible. Ours has a ton of chlorine in it too, it will take your breath away. I can't say I trust home filtration systems honestly. There are hundreds if not thousands of things that could be in old pipes and in the ground. The very thought of consuming prescription drugs that are routinely flushed away everyday is not pleasing either. My dad is friends with a guy that used to work at the place where they process water and he one day got an emergency call. Turns out their system was backed up with a huge mass of flushed condoms and tampons, used of course. Now, do you want to drink that or the chemicals it takes to "kill" it?
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 5:04 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• i buy bottled water for the same reasons god knows what everyone flushes in their sinks and toilets and i just cant get past the thought of drinking it
    mom_of_2_girlz

Answer by mom_of_2_girlz at 5:42 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I live in Fl. and the tap water here is awful. You can not drink much of it.That is why I buy bottled water.
    mollgirl

Answer by mollgirl at 5:38 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I know what you mean about FL water too. Whenever we would go there on vacation growing up my mom would have to drink bottled Coke and stuff because her stomach couldn't handle the water, it gave her the runs. Fun times!!
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 5:47 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Alot of people around here don't like the chlorine that they stick in the water and they think the water has a bad taste we are on well water so we only buy bottle when we are going out of town.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:29 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Our water is like that, too (chlorine). You can smell it as soon as you turn a tap on and every time I shower and get water in my eyes, they're irritated for hours. A few years ago, when I was living in the next county over with my parents, we were told not to use our tap water without boiling it (and that was only for bathing;they distributed bottled water for cooking and drinking) it because a COW had fallen in and gotten sucked into the pipes and was decaying there, etc. A freaking cow!

And I also agree that tap tastes HORRIBLE. I wish that the spring at my mom's house hadn't dried up, or I would fill up gallon jugs over there for us to drink. THAT was some seriously fresh tasting water. I loved it growing up.
    Mrs.BAT

Comment by Mrs.BAT (original poster) at 5:37 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• But then ladies ....... how can we now for sure they don't put stuff in bottled water too????? Why not jusy use tap water, boil it once or twice, let it cool of and then drink ..... boiling kills a lot of germs, poisons etc etc. And why let the water bottle industry let us live in fear ..... maybe they make money of all of us? I could cross over now and a car might hit me and I die instantly ...... But I can relate to all your concerns too ..... really!

patricia67

Answer by patricia67 at 5:43 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• It taste bad and bottled water is convenient.
    Librarylady60

Answer by Librarylady60 at 6:47 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• for my home i don't cause we have the smart water system, but if i go places then yeah
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 7:04 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• At home I drink it from the tap. I'm not a granola-y type of person, but I really hate the waste created by the plastic bottles. When I'm out, I'll drink Smart Water or Fuji because it tastes good.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:28 AM on Jan. 5, 2011