No other parent has the right- sealed birth certificates

In adoption, the NMoms rights are terminated. She has no power or say towards the child she relinquished.

No other parent has that right to remove their name from the childs certificate of birth. Why should “birthparents,” whose parental rights were terminated decades ago, (to a now adult adoptee) have different rights and rules?

adopteeme

Asked by adopteeme at 5:02 AM on Jan. 5, 2011 in Adoption

• Scuba- That is not what the OP means...she means that adoptees should have their Birth Parents ON their BC and that birth parents should not have the right to remove themselves from it. Adoptees DESERVE the same rights that biological children have- the knowledge of their birth family with their original information on their original BC.

Yes, another BC is issued with the a-parents listed as the parents..the issue is that adoptees are not allowed their original bc even as adults, which is messed up.
    BTW- the OP is an adult adoptee.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 8:52 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Come off it adopteeme, you know full well no birth parent has ever requested to have their name removed from a birth certificate and they don't have any rights. I know you know this and were being ironic.

So, birth parents should have the exact same rights as any other mother i.e. NO privacy from their children. Adoptees should have the exact same rights as any non-adopted person. i.e. full access to all documents pertaining to their birth. Equal rights for all. Equal access for all. No one's rights should come at the expense of another persons rights.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 2:12 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I, personally, don't care for the way birth certificates are changed and am glad I had the foresight to have copies of my children's original birth certificates put back (reminds me that I need to get one for my 23 month old - we'll have our adoption homestudy update in 12 days - rights will be terminating in 2 weeks from today).

BUT for the child - and I've thought about this a TRILLION times - can you imagine having to EXPLAIN your life history each time you need your birth certificate in life?

Do I wish for you and others that yearn to have those records unsealed that you could know? YES - do I wish that wasn't one of the harsh realities of life? YES, but I guess for me - as much as it bothers me - I don't know of another better solution, either.
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 9:31 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• You're 100% right. The "birth parents" shouldn't have access to the child's birth records (or the child for that matter). They are not the child's parents.

I thought that a secondary birth certificate was issued when a child was adopted? (I understand why the birth parents names need to be on some sort of document for medical reasons).
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:23 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Since the mom's was terminated, maybe the father can, since dads seem to get forgotten and pushed to the background.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:33 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I think I agree on this ....... If I had a baby which for some reason I couldn't take care of in the way I should and I gave it up for adoption that would take a way my legal rights for ever. BUT; that doesn't mean you'll never wonder about the healtbeing of that child, because that might stay with you for ever. You might have the wish to meet the child later in life because feeling keeps playing up, but it's up to the child (now probably adult) if they want to do so!

patricia67

Answer by patricia67 at 5:38 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• McGinnisc,very well explained... And it sucks especially for the rightful owner... The person whom it belongs to, adoptee ! Open records and return the original birth certificates to their rightful owner! Just for clarification, I the first/natural mom do not need protection,for those who think it best to protect us! I am a big girl and can handle my own privacy.... Give these U S Citizens their certificates, CJ
    ceejay1

Answer by ceejay1 at 10:46 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• OTT, I should have explained better. I know a bp doesnt have any say to seal or not seal when the OBC is issued. I didn't use the best word, but, (Removing) her name IE- those states that have conditional access- as in- they ask for Mommys permission for the adoptee to get the OBC. Thats what I had on my mind when I said (remove).

AAA, in states that have never sealed, and those that have restored the right, the record is available when the adoptee is of age, and an adult.
    There wouldn't be any explaining because of the availbility of the OBC- to the school nurse "I'm adopted." Or, to the clerk at DMV "I have 2 Moms".
    adopteeme

Comment by adopteeme (original poster) at 5:03 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• I can't imagine it'd ever get to a point and law that an adoptees BC would list ALL parents, birth and legal parent. But, that would be cool. We'd save a little bit of tax dollar in paying a salary to those armed guards at the vital records office. LOL

Tossing this out, not really expecting an answer, but...if we need to be protected so badly- why didnt they decide to distroy the records, instead of sealing them?

adopteeme

Comment by adopteeme (original poster) at 5:12 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Just reading through here and realized befor emy LO adoption is finil I better get extra copies of his OBC cause if something happens to the one i have then it might cause a bit of a pickle later on.
    kingkongsmom

Answer by kingkongsmom at 6:04 AM on Jan. 6, 2011