Do you think society is teaching us to raise our kids to be spoiled wimpy brats?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:31 AM on Jan. 5, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• again,how so?
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 5:32 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• yes, ENTITLED, spoiled brats. It seems to me alot of kids feel they are entitled to EVERYTHING and they feel that it should be easy that they shouldn't have to work hard to acheive goals.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 5:42 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Well in our house society doesn't teach diddley squat. Dh and I do.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 5:50 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Yes, the sad part is we as parents are society.....a lot of children have a sense of entitlement rather gratitude. Children don't come in to the world with skills they need to be taught and it needs to happen at a young age, please and thank you is a start. As a retired educator I saw a drastic swing in children in my 25 years of teaching. For years when children did well a sticker or stamp on their paper was exciting for them. I really saw an alarming transition when we went to limos coming to school to take the kids to a party for fifth grade graduation. WOW, how were parents going to keep making it bigger than what had been done. I know limos are not the case most places but my point is what did we do to our kids in trying to make them feel loved and special. We created ungrateful, spoiled, give me more children. I have been alarmed by what I see but the PROBLEM is too big for me but so glad for the dialog on CM.
    Librarylady60

Answer by Librarylady60 at 5:58 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• We've become a nation of lazy parents. (Generally speaking). It's easier to let little Jimmy run the house than actually enforce rules and have consequences. I don't know if it's "parent guilt" (because of both parents working), or because our generation didn't have a lot and we want our kids to have "better" - but there are a lot of parents that treat their children like friends. There are a few friends of my kids that I won't allow to come to our house anymore because they are rude and/or disrespectful. I consider myself to be fairly easy going - I can't imagine what "discipline" these kids are really getting.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:17 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Society, no? Falls on the parents. People need put blame where it belongs.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 7:55 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Depends on what society you are part of.
    We don't watch TV and hardly ever play video games other than the Wii
    Laying around the couch is a no no
    So, No, I will say society is not teaching my kids to be wimpy brats. My kids are mostly exposed to pastors, coaches and parents and that's about it.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:00 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• YES, many parents in our society are too afraid of parenting and setting boundaries and are just too stretched to the limit that the "parenting" has fallen by the wayside, and it is definitely reflected in the mentality of today's children (feel they're ENTITLED, are used to being praised for doing nothing, are not expected to do chores or evenpick up after themselves, etc.).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:05 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• No, our society as a whole doesn't. I don't think parents want this to happen, and don't teach it, but I do think some parents allow their children to become this way because , whether it's through lack of knowledge, or lack of time, they don't teach their children to became caring, strong individual who have concern for other people. I believe part of this is because children don't see their parents modeling these bahaviors. They are often isolated from other family through distance and don't have a lot of good role models. They spend most of their time in "me" activities. On the computer, playing games on DS, alone listening to ipod, and not enough time truly interacting with others. That being said, there are also parents who a doing a great job of raising kids that they are emotionally close to, and who respect adults and will be an asset to society.

SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 8:14 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• No, PARENTS are teaching their children to be spoiled, wimpy brats!! SOCIETY isn't raising my children, my husband and I are and however they turn out to be, falls on us. That being said, we are teaching them to be responsible, hard working young men. They don't get whatever they want. They know how to cook, clean, and pick up after themselves and they understand that if you want something, you have to work for it. They paid their way to summer camp last year by doing odd jobs for the neighbors, and they were only 8 and 10 years old.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:35 AM on Jan. 5, 2011