Disciplining my 4 year old isn't working...what am I doing wrong?

I've tried hasn't worked. I've tried time-outs and they're DEFINATELY not working. I've tried taking toys away....nothing. It's not a consistency issue, I keep up what I've started. He's turning into a brat and my parents and I constantly fight over it because they think that spanking is the answer to every little thing he does. What else can I do?

Asked by dylansmommy304 at 9:33 AM on Jun. 19, 2008 in General Parenting

• Try putting him in the corner. i know i hated that when i was young

Answer by blue_eyedmomma3 at 9:46 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My son was around 4 when he started his attitude and he is 6 now..and it still happens! We started a new thing last week..STRIKES! Get three in a day and he has punishments the next (no tv, no after dinner snack, no video game, computer etc) get at least 1-2 strikes everyday for a week he is grounded (for at least 2 days) depending on the reason for the strikes. In the last three weeks he hasnt been grounded at all he has gotten 1 or 2 strikes a day every now and then but it seems to be working when you have a calander and you set out the rules and show them what you are doing. Good Luck!

Answer by ohara_b05 at 9:55 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• When I was little my parents made me kneel in the corner of the kitchen ..... sounds mean but I certainly learned my place.

Answer by Sophiasmom119 at 1:03 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• sounds like you have exerted all off your options. try positive reinforcement. make a big deal of things that he does well, praise him for his good behavior and down play his bad behavior. most children at his age act out to get attention, so if you ignore the bad things he does and make a big deal of the good things, i can almost guarantee you that his behavior will change. kids are smart these days and know what they are doing. just a little F.Y.I. did you know that by the age of 9months old a child understand the meaning of no. just thought i'd share that with you. have a great week.

Answer by juzcreepin at 12:08 AM on Jun. 22, 2008