Ladies give me your absolute best potty-training tips!!

So here it is-dd will be 3 in a few months and will sit on the potty but never does anything. Her attention is elsewhere while sitting on it. She WILL NOT sit on the potty to poop. She will cry if you even suggest it. SHe runs off and poops in a corner then announces happily that she needs a diaper. I tried offering candy and stickers if she would go and she politely responded with,"I don't want candy and stickers,thank you." How do I argue with that? I tried the whole pantied thing too and she went in them just like diapers. All it did was make me clean the floor more. She likes watching me pee and stuff and imitates me while doing it.

SweetLoveofMine

Asked by SweetLoveofMine at 6:31 AM on Jan. 5, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't let others make you feel bad because their child potty trained better & faster. It can stress you and you can take it out on the child. Don't ever get angry at the child or force them to sit on the potty. This stirs negative associations with the potty.
    babiesandkids

Answer by babiesandkids at 3:11 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• EVERY child is different. Treat worked like a charm with my daughter. With my first son, NOTHING worked. I finally started making him take off his own wet and poopy pants and underwear. He had to dress in clean clothes before coming out of the bathroom. He HATED that and it would sometimes take more then an hour, but he hated it so much, he quit wetting and pooping in his pants. With my second son, I sat him on the toilet for 6 months before he even went!! After that I was able to work more seriously with him.

Be ready for lot of extra laundry, cleaning up the floor, etc. It is a process. And with some kids it takes longer then with others. Be prepared to deal with messes, accidents, and maybe she will surprise you! Just remember it is/can be a long, messy process.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:13 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• If she ever goes...jump up and down and praise like crazy!!! We jumped and threw our arms in the air and said yea!!! They LOVE praise and will want to do something to get more.
    babiesandkids

Answer by babiesandkids at 3:12 PM on Jan. 5, 2011