Do your children read?

I do not read to my kids but I read alot myself. My dd reads alot! She will read a book a day.

Autumn07

Asked by Autumn07 at 8:15 AM on Jan. 5, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i try to read to her but i don;t do it consistently. i never got into the routine. i never was read to so i never thought of it as a big deal. i love to read and she loves books so i am sure it will all play out. i take her to the library and she usually just looks at the books. she does not read yet. she is 22 months.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 9:22 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• why don't you read to your kids? just curious....
    but anyway, i read my kids at least 2 books a day (usually at bedtime), and my 5yo is starting to read now. he could read most of the words in go dog go, but other than that he just reads the stuff he brings home from school or sometimes he reads his baby sister the picture books we have.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:33 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I read a lot and so does my 9 yr old dd. My 6 yr old ds likes to read but prefers to have me read to him. I read to my 6 yr old ds and 1 yr old ds a lot. My dd reads to her brothers a lot too.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 8:33 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I always read to my kids, starting when they were very young and even after they could read themselves, and they like to read.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 8:34 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I still read to both of my boys, even though they can both read on their own. Kids comprehend things differently when they hear stuff being read than when they read it themselves. A study done not too long ago said that it was beneficial for kids to be read to even through the first years of high school! We routinely have nights where, instead of watching TV, mom reads a story to the family and even my husband enjoys this activity. Both of my kids read a lot on their own, too.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 8:41 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I've read to my daughter since she was born...she's 6 now and reads all the time. I still read to her though, daily.
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 8:48 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Always read tothe kids ...Since new Years my 8 yr old and i have started the Fudge series of the Judy Blume books and have done 2 books in 3 days! We are both enjoying them and I love hearing him laugh at the parts that I did as a kid and still think are funny!
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 9:00 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• My 7 year old reads constantly...he reads to us, to his sister, he even gets to read to the kindergarten class at school. myself or my husband reads a bedtime story every night to both of the kids as well. I used to love reading but just havent found time for it recently.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 9:07 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• All three of mine love to read. We we are going anywhere they always grab a book for the ride. I even put one of those little lights in the stockings for reading at night.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 9:11 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I have always read to DD, but all of a sudden...she now decides she hates to read! I am so bummed! I think because i make her do it for homeowork, it's less enjoyable. I have bought her so many books to check out & she says she doesn't like any of them...oy.... she does play guitar well though! She is 9.

I hope this will change soon....it really bums me out!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:24 AM on Jan. 5, 2011