Need advice

My son is 6 and hasnt been going to bed until 2a. I really mean asleep he is in bed at 8. Of course going to bed this late he has missed 2 days of school. Is there something I could give him to help him go to sleep or does anyone have any other ideas how to get him to sleep. He does have anxiety issues with going to school should he go back to the doctor? I am at my wits end. I have gotten maybe 4 hrs a sleep a night since I work and I need to sleep and he needs to go to school.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

mandynjohnsmom

Asked by mandynjohnsmom at 8:25 AM on Jan. 5, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If he has anxiety issues then I think you have your answer. My anxiety has kept me up all night too and is no diff for a child. Sorry your going through this. Id wait to see what the dr says on how to handle it. In the mean time try warm milk(good for all ages) and put on a movie or something calming that he can enjoy and relax with at the same time. On his days off see if waking him up earlier will help him fall asleep earlier. Good Luck :)
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:32 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Don't know if you do this already, but a night time routine might be helpful. My boys start their routine with a shower - move onto jammies, teeth brushing and then reading time (older boy reads to himself and I read out loud to my 6 year old). This transitions directly into bed, with evening prayers said while the child is in bed, calm and under the covers.

You also might try knocking his bedtime back by an hour or so - send him to bed at 9 instead of 8. Also, if he's on meds for his anxiety issues, these could be interfering with his ability to sleep. Talk to his pediatrician if this is the case.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 8:34 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• This is not normal. I would take him to the doctor.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 8:32 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• You can try making sure he isnt eating/drinking caffeine, make a quiet time without noisey toys,..an hour befor ebed, give him some warm milk or just a cup of milk, it helps induce some tiredness/sleep, and most of all talk to him about why he is so anxious about school, get real answers, patient but firm till you can get something concrete from him and then, take those concerns to school officials, it is their jobs to help make him feel secure, calm,.. when at school and to make any adjudstments needed.
    kingkongsmom

Answer by kingkongsmom at 8:33 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• He isnt on meds for his anxeity my doctor doesnt think anyone would put him on any. It started with separation anxeity but since the 2 week break he just fights his sleep.
    We do have a routine. I let him lay in bed at 8 and watch tv and lights out at 9. I tried to wake him up this morning for school and he was so tired he countdnt keep his eyes open so I couldnt send him.
    Thanks for the advice I will try to get in the pediatrician and see what they say.
    mandynjohnsmom

Comment by mandynjohnsmom (original poster) at 8:41 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• With that update, my first bit of advice will be to take the TV out of his room. He's probably getting up after lights out and watching more programs. I had the exact same issue with my 10 year old, and solved it after I discovered he was bringing his Nintendo DS into bed with him at night! Once the distraction was gone, he was able to go to sleep.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 10:55 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• there is meds he could take that could help with his anxiety and help him sleep its hard to be little and have anxitey so i would ask the doctor if there is something he could be on and if it would be harmful to give it to him but it could benefit him and you good luck :)
    premiemom18

Answer by premiemom18 at 1:48 AM on Jan. 6, 2011