Could I be eating too much vitamin C?

I love oranges. I have been eating like 6 a day. Is that too much for me to eat being 19 weeks pregnant.

soon2bmmy

Asked by soon2bmmy at 8:33 AM on Jan. 5, 2011 in Pregnancy

• whatever vitamin c your body doesn't need you will just pee out. the only thing you might get concerned about is that the oranges might make your skin look a little orange.....same thing if you eat a lot of carrots. other than that it's ok.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:34 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I agree with poster saying youll pee out extra,...... and orange looking skin, however, since you are eating so many, are you eating enough of other foods your body needs, there is a saying 'too much of a good thing......", it wont hurt you unless, it is filling you up so much that you dont eat enough of all 4 food groups.
    kingkongsmom

Answer by kingkongsmom at 8:37 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Vitamin C doesn't store in your body - you're fine :)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:38 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• The excess that your body doesn't need gets excreeted, and doesn't usually cause problems. However, this can cause some problems. This can result in gastrointestinal stress. Diarrhea can occur. Stomach cramping, flatulence, and nausea are also common when unabsorbed Vitamin C passes through the intestines. Finally, some studies have shown that increased levels of Vitamin C can actually put you at risk for the development of kidney stones. I would be more concerned that because you are eating so many oranges, you may be not eating enough variety of other things. This may just be a stort-time craving.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 8:40 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Youre fine....enjoy them now before the heartburn kicks in.... =) Congrats on your pregnancy by the way!
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 8:41 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• No, you will be fine.
    sissy0604

Answer by sissy0604 at 2:52 PM on Jan. 5, 2011