How can I keep my 4yr old asleep?

He doesnt ususlly nap, if so not after 3pm. We try to get him in bed by 830-9pm. Last night he was in bed by 830, woke up around 11pm and was up ALL night. Even if he takes a 5 minute nap hes super awake and ready to play anytime day or night. Any tips on getting him to sleep more/longer?

Collegemommy910

Asked by Collegemommy910 at 8:43 AM on Jan. 5, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• can you give him one toy that he's allowed to play with in his bed if he wakes up? Maybe something with a timed light or timed music. Then when the music /light goes off, he can go back to sleep?

Also, maybe a white noise machine might help. If he's waking at 11 pm maybe he's hearing you?

Also, maybe he's hungry or cold. A good night snack might help.
    MeggieSwan

Answer by MeggieSwan at 9:06 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• what do you let him do when he gets up at night? my kids know that they have to stay in bed/crib when it's night time. eventually they get bored and go back to sleep
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:50 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• At four, he is old enough for you to teach him that he must stay in the bed, even if he's awake, as long as others in the house are trying to sleep. A child forms sleep habits just like he forms other kinds of habits, and your boy has formed some really bad ones. Every child has the tendency, when he awakens, to get up and wake everybody else up, too. He has to be taught that this is unacceptable behavior. When our children were younger than your child, and they started waking up and getting up, we would put thme back to bed once with the instruction that they were to stay there. If they got up the second time, they were spanked and put back to bed, and that was usually the end of it. A good part of the problem is a control issue. Right now, your child is in control, and it is up to you to change that around so that you are the one in control. The habit must be broken, and you will have to be the one to break it.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:51 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• He comes in my room wakes me up and either me or SO put him back in bed. We have found toys and stuff in his bed but we cant lock up the toys at night so he cant get them.
    Collegemommy910

Comment by Collegemommy910 (original poster) at 8:52 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Ive tried the supernanny thing where you keep putting them back in bed but have to eye contact and dont talk to them......it doesnt work. He usually does stay in bed, but hes awake then it messes up his schedule. He will want to sleep during the day and I have to keep waking him up.
    Collegemommy910

Comment by Collegemommy910 (original poster) at 8:55 AM on Jan. 5, 2011