Would you lie and say you were a sex offender to get out of jail?

DALLAS – A Texas man declared innocent Tuesday after 30 years in prison had at least two chances to make parole and be set free — if only he would admit he was a sex offender. But Cornelius Dupree Jr. refused to do so, doggedly maintaining his innocence in a 1979 rape and robbery, in the process serving more time for a crime he didn't commit than any other Texas inmate exonerated by DNA evidence.

"Whatever your truth is, you have to stick with it," Dupree, 51, said Tuesday, minutes after a Dallas judge overturned his conviction.

Nationally, only two others exonerated by DNA evidence spent more time in prison, according to the Innocence Project, a New York legal center that specializes in wrongful conviction cases and represented Dupree. James Bain was wrongly imprisoned for 35 years in Florida, and Lawrence McKinney spent more than 31 years in a Tennessee prison.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 8:43 AM on Jan. 5, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I would like to think I wouldn't, but never having been in jail it's hard for me to say what I would do to get out. Like they say, the truth shall set you free. Sad that it took so long for it to happen though.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:09 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I dont thinkI would. If I had the chance of being found innocent I think Id wait it out. IMO a sex offender status is worse than anything else to be known for. It ruins your life.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:46 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Absolutely not! If I wasn't one there is no way I'd say I was.
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 8:46 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• i wouldn't lie.....if his conviction was overturned i'm not sure why they would have the condition that he says he's a sex offender since it was proven that he is innocent. i wouldn't say i was something i wasn't either.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:46 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• no. if he is innocent. he sholud stick by his guns. did he get set free? is he innocent?
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 8:47 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I wouldn't admit to doing something I didn't do. DH and I talked about this the other night, he said he wouldn't either - we agreed we'd wait for each other if we ended up in jail :)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:47 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I would stick by what I knew to be true. You're never truly 'free' if you declare yourself a sex offender as they'll keep tabs on you and won't let you work anywhere, you'll also be checked out if anything ever happens nearby you.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 8:51 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Cases like this are why I am so opposed to the death penalty. This guy wasn't on death row but there have been men on death row who were almost put to death who have been exonerated later. This guy lost so much of his life but he is at least still alive. We can't unmurder someone when they are found to be not guilty. Poor guy had to be hard to spend all those years locked up knowing he was innocent.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 8:47 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

•  

no. if he is innocent. he sholud stick by his guns. he did

did he get set free?  recently after 30 years in jail

is he innocent? according to DNA, yes

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 8:48 AM on Jan. 5, 2011