• In the Spotlight:

Anyone else feeling this way?

I am 24 weeks pregnant and feeling very suicidal. I am so angry all of the time and one side of me says "just do it-ram your car into the median" The logical side thinks about my kids and husband and the selfishness of it all. I dont want to tell my doc. They will just want to put me on meds and I am 100% against them. No amount of convincing is going to work so please do not try. I know its the hormones but I feel like my marriage is going to fall apart and be all my fault. Or I will kill the next guy who pisses me off...no matter how dumb the reason. I am SO SICK of feeling this way! Did anyone else feel this way and what did you do. If you told your doc what did they do? I dont want to be put in the hospital over hormone issues. These are not normal feelings for me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:06 PM on Nov. 11, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Sometimes I also feel the same way that you do. Not every day but there are days when I get so down that I have to remind myself that I have a child growing inside of me and a 1 year old to live for. Sometimes I also feel like the way I feel that is completely out of my control because of the hormones is going to ruin my marriage as well, thank God that I have a very understanding husband and he just deals with me for right now. Pregnancy hormones affect everyone differently and it seems like for you they cause a lot of depression and stress, what I would personally do is to go and see a therapist or counselor or someone you feel comfortable telling them things . I would also talk to your husband and tell him how you feel that your mood during your pregnancy is going to cause a detriment to your marriage, I am sure he will be understanding and reassuring! Good Luck and Take care of yourself!
    ChristinaJ10108

Answer by ChristinaJ10108 at 4:33 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Find a psychologist, and be clear up front that you absolutely do not want to take medication. A good therapist won't try to force the issue, and will try to work with you on your terms. Unless you are posing an immediate risk to yourself or others, they can't commit you. There are other ways to treat depression besides medication. They can give you new coping strategies to help you deal with these feelings until the end of your pregnancy. Hang in there, mama.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 4:12 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Please don't be afraid to talk to your obgyn about this- it does sound like your hormone levels may be off- that can easily be fixed by doing a quick blood test to check your levels and dealt with hormone pills- not physicatric meds!
    Hang in there- ask for the help you need and you will be ok.
    Anonymous

• Knowing you feel this way and don't want to is huge! I agree with bluefrog, you need to see someone and be very firm about your feelings on medication.
    Try finding at least 15 minutes a day (more if you have the time) that you can have a quiet time. Write you thoughts in a journal, drink tea that mellows (I can only think of chamomile, but there are others), maybe find out about a supplement you can take. Are you taking vitamins? I find that the days I skip mine, I get wild mood swings and blow up at every little thing.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 4:52 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Think of it this was: what are you more willing to sacrifice, your beliefs on medication or your family and unborn child?

You need to talk to someone about this, that's all there is to it.
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 6:36 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I feel the same way. Are you bipolar? Well it always gets worse in the Winter for me and here I am...9 months pregnant and ready to cry at the slightest comment/look/anything really. We thought that it was just bad PMS 'cause I was the happiest lady for about 7 months without having a period, but now it's awful just like it would be without me being pregnant.

If you're that against happy pills I'd suggest just talking to someone. I always try to pretend everything is okay and it gets you nowhere or you just end up numb and like you said wanting to just crash your car with you in it. I'm really sorry that you have to go through this. Maybe pregnancy just isn't for us? Well, we will both get through it and have beautiful babies that when they look at us we'll just feel so ridiculous that we ever thought about just giving up.
    ours

Answer by ours at 6:55 PM on Nov. 11, 2008