Has anyone had a 4th degree tear and then delivered another baby vaginally?

I am in the last trimester with my second and really don't know what to do. My ob has seen my file and is not wanting to follow along with the fact that it says I should be a c-section birth. I had a severe tear with my first and it took about a year to get back to "Normal". I don't want that to happen again. When I have asked the doctor about it and she really won't listen to my concerns. I don't really want to have a c-section but if it is best for my health and my future happiness I am willing too. Any advice would be great!

tisharanes

Asked by tisharanes at 9:00 AM on Jan. 5, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I had a fourth degree tear with my first pregnancy - it took a 7 months to get properly back to normal. With my next child I was told that it was absolutely fine to have a vaginal birth as it had healed completely so I went through with it and I haven't had any problems with that child or any of the births after it. I hope it goes well for you, get a second opinion if you're concerned though.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 9:03 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• As I said I do not want the c- section but don't want to go through that again. Most doctors only look at the medical drawbacks of tearing. There are many " relationship" issues that they don't want to worry about but I have too. If you have had this degree of tearing you may know what I am talking about. Lets just say that 8 months of pain can really put a strain on a healthy marrige.
    tisharanes

Comment by tisharanes (original poster) at 9:17 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I know that I had about 30 stitches from my cervix down... and I honestly never felt the pain. However you. Had a more severe uh rip? Maybe you can ask another ob in the practic for their opinion? I wouldn't want to have a c section either but if its recommended then..? I hope you can get some answers other than being brushed off for your concerns. Good luck
    elyssek832

Answer by elyssek832 at 9:24 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Lol,yes it was a much worse tear.Stiches back and front in an out, 87 of them. I did have a great set of doctors though! I was prepped for a c-section after a long labor and then they decided to try vac assist first. After that things just went to quick for them.
    tisharanes

Comment by tisharanes (original poster) at 9:28 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I had a third degree tear with my first one it took almost five months to heal properly. With my second I had tears in my uretha and clitoris, but for some reason it wasn't painful. The size of your child may factor in on this. Good Luck!!!!!!!
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 9:28 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I had a 4th degree tear w/ my 1st, 2nd degree tear w/ my 2nd (1 1/2 yrs apart) Then for my finale' my dau damaged my tailbone & that one took the longest to recover from. Talk to your DR. about the size of the baby as it gets closer to your due date. My Dr. respected my concerns & induced me 2 wks prior to my due date w/ my dau. Good thing she did. Good luck!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:55 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I had a 4th degree tear and receive almost 50 stitches. I litterly tore a new hole. I was torn from one hole to the other.
    It took me 6 months to heal, but I was told I could deliver vaginally again if I wanted. What are her reasons for saying you cant do a vaginal delivery just becuase of the tear?
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:57 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Yes her reason was just the tear.
    tisharanes

Comment by tisharanes (original poster) at 11:28 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• i was cut before i could tear!
    courtneycra

Answer by courtneycra at 12:29 PM on Jan. 5, 2011