Can I make chicken, veggie & rice soup this morning and have it be ok for tonight?

I mean, will the rice soak up all the soup if I let it sit a few hours? I'll be gone because I have to take my mom to the doc and I won't have time when I get back to start it from scratch. :\ I just wanna make it this morning and warm it up before dinnertime.

MamaLisa1976

Asked by MamaLisa1976 at 9:03 AM on Jan. 5, 2011 in Food & Drink

• You could make it this morning with everything but,the rice(I have the same problem with the rice soaking up the liquid) and make the rice in a different pan and then add them to each other tonight for supper.
    cjsix

Answer by cjsix at 9:12 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• No it will be just fine! Just refrigerate it and put it back on the stove to warm it up for dinner
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 9:04 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• yes the rice will soak up & get mushy. Make the soup, then before dinner make the rice & add it in the rice before you're about to eat it.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:28 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• It will be fine. You can even leave it on warm in a crock-pot if you have one. Then it will be ready to eat when you get home.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:11 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Cook the rice separately, then add it when you heat it up, or if cooking together, add extra liquid.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 9:23 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Make it, refrigerate it, reheat it. If you leave it in the crock pot or sitting out all day, the rice won't necessarily soak up the liquid but it will turn to mush, and the veggies will also get mushy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Thanks girls I'm gonna make the rice later. I got it on the stove now... I have to leave in an hour or so and i won't be back until about 5. :\ I live about an hour from my mom and her doc is another 1/2 hour away. :P
    MamaLisa1976

Comment by MamaLisa1976 (original poster) at 10:04 AM on Jan. 5, 2011