is spanking (not abusing) wrong?

JOR_HAIL

Asked by JOR_HAIL at 9:03 AM on Jan. 5, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• It is not. It is one of the most loving things a parent can do for a child. It enables a parent to set boundaries for the child and to help the child learn obedience to and respect for the boundaries and the parent who sets and enforces them. It also enables a parent to get immediate obedience from the children without delay, discussion, or disgust. It makes for well-behaved, respectful children and peace in the home. It is highly effective and when children understand there will be painful consequences for disobedience and misbehaviors, it will seldom have to be used.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:09 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I think it is. I don't think you can teach your child discipline by hitting them. Talk to your kids, teach them right from wrong. Don't teach them it's okay to hit other people.
    That's my opinion though...I'm sure alot of people feel differently.
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 9:05 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• i don't know. i have been on the fence about this for a long time. Even though i believe spanking is necessary when a child attempts to run into the street ect. sometimes they are too young to understand right from wrong yet. and truthfully i don't know if i believe in time out either. i think a smack here and there on the leg or hand gets the point across. i believe in respect and they will respect what you say more if you make it that way from day one.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 9:13 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• It depends on the parent. Some do it when they feel it's needed, incuding me. Others feel it is wrong all the way across the board.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:05 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• It is also a lot harder to make the decision to spank if you were as a child. I had a parent that did and went to far many times. I say just do what you feel is right for your child. All kids respond to different things.
    tisharanes

Answer by tisharanes at 9:21 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I think it's only wrong if it is done out of frustration.

I do not spank, my DD is smart & amazing. I've really never had to spank her. But, i do not think parents that do spank are doing anything wrong to their child. Some kids might need it. I was spanked..a lot...and i turned out OK & still love my parents...LOL!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:26 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I think it depends on the parent and the situation. The only time we have ever spanked our child is when he ran out in the street while we were playing in the front yard. (before anyone says anything yes we were with him and paying attention) That was a lesson that we felt needed to be learned one time only so getting a spanking cause a little "shock and awe". He will remember that spanking and has NEVER done it again.
    tisharanes

Answer by tisharanes at 9:13 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• i don't think that spanking is a bad thing IF and ONLY IF it is used the right way.. if you are constantly spanking your kids because they aren't listening to you or if you resort to spanking all the time than it's wrong. it is most DEFINITELY wrong if you are spanking your kids out of anger or frustration. You need to be calm and explain to the child what they did wrong before spanking. But you should always have a pyramid of punishment. like a warning first, time out next, and than a spanking (just example).
    khmymommi

Answer by khmymommi at 9:20 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Discipline is love and that is what I do. When I have to spank my son I give him a warning (he knows what behavior warrents a spanking), if he doesn't stop then I calmly tell him that I hate to do this but I have to spank his bottom and give him a swat. One spanking is all it takes for him to know I mean business and usually I don't have to spank him again for the rest of the night. Spanking is not done ONLY by parents who can't control their anger. That is a huge misconception.

worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 12:54 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Though it may not solve the problem, I dont think its wrong
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 9:05 AM on Jan. 5, 2011