this is just an honest question.

i just want to know what you think, if someone moves from one country to another, do you think they should learn to speak their language before or not at all? or even their culture?

noel1978

Asked by noel1978 at 9:09 AM on Jan. 5, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes, you should have a basic understanding of a culture and language before you move to another country. I realize it's not always possible to speak it well before you move, but a little effort and total immersion can really help you learn the language.  You should not move some where and expect that you don't a have to learn their language... it's rude and arrogant!! I would never move to another country and expect they are going to cater to me.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:47 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Well, my mom didn't speak a lick of English when she moved here 35 years ago from Argentina. She now speaks fluently & is an American Citizen. I think with the right attitude, it doesn't matter. She moved here, learned the language, got a good job, married a good fellow & is super proud to be able to call herself American now that she is a citezen.

But, not everyone moves here with the great attitude she had. Some people move here, take advantage of what we have to offer & then leave. My mother loves America more than the country she came from. She consideres herself an American, not an Argentinian.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:14 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• yes. if you are moving to that country you should know their language and culture.
    JOR_HAIL

Answer by JOR_HAIL at 9:09 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I think you should understand their culture and respect it. As far as language goes, it's not always possible to learn an entire new language prior to moving somewhere, but an effort really needs to be made to learning it. As an immigrant, you also can't expect those in your new country to speak your language.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:18 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• In a perfect world, yes they should learn before they come, or should start as soon as they get to the new country. Otherwise, how can they function, and be self supporting if they don't? Immigrants of the past did it. I can understand honoring their previous culture and wanting to teach their children the language of their previous country, but they should also learn to become fluent in the language, government, and culture of where they now live.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 9:21 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• oh... before they move or while they are there. that part to me doesnt matter but they should do it within the first year. with all the programs to help learn now its no difficult!
    JOR_HAIL

Answer by JOR_HAIL at 9:10 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Yes, you should know their language.
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 9:13 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• When in Rome, do as the Romans do.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:57 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I believe that if you plan to move somewhere you should learn the national language and about the predominate culture.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 12:33 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I'm from Ecuador, and when I came here I could not even say "hi." I went through school, and learned English.
    My husband speaks some, but honestly we use Spanish more than anything. Even when we are out in everyday
    life...it seems like many languages are offered. There are so many bilingual people. I am the only one in my family
    that speaks almost 100% English...My oldest (3) speaks Spanish. Its just what we use-and in most cases people
    know Spanish too. If not, I'll speak the English. I did learn it though, even though it may not be 100%.
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 9:19 AM on Jan. 5, 2011