Does it seem like there's an overabundance of toys in the "kid" world?

Granted, I have 4 YOUNG children...but they all seem to fight over the same toys when there are GOBS of other toys around to play with.....MORE than even my crew needs or plays with!
People just keep getting them toys toys toys. So...how do you get rid of some of these toys without people (when I say people, I mean the MIL, FIL, SIL....) noticing?????
And....How do I go about telling people NOT to get them anymore toys? Politely.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on Jan. 5, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• YES! i actually had a talk with the grandparents this year at xmas n asked nicely for them all to get my kids practical items instead of toys. we live in a small house and i simply stated that they had way too many that they do not have time to play with and they needed things like clothes, school supplies, and even crafts (we are big crafters)
    JOR_HAIL

Answer by JOR_HAIL at 9:14 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I had to do this with my mother- I told her that every new toy she bought for my kids had to stay at her house so they would have it to play with when they visited her. It was amazing how she stopped finding all the annoying noisy toys to buy.
    pennycandy

Answer by pennycandy at 9:16 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• YES!!!!! I don't think kids need toys at all. They will play with ANYTHING and use their imagination more. I think toys are fun and I am glad my kids have them, but it is TOO many!!!

I keep the toys they are given for a year, minimum. Then I start weeding them out. I keep the absolute favorites ONLY. Right now we are keeping everything THomas and CARS. My daughter doesn't have as many toys, but there is only one of her and 3 of the boys! :D (Mine are all 5 and under).

If anything breaks - I toss it. I don't even bother to fix it.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:17 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I've had to have this conversation with my ILs over the years. At first, they refused to listen so I would return the toys and put the $$ in the kids' accounts. That were upset because they wanted their "grandparent moment" but once you give a gift, the donor no longer has any say over it, imo. Besides, I needed to send the message since they weren't "hearing" me when I spoke to them face-to-face. Eventually, they learned to check with me before buying anything; my kids only ever played with a few things. We really have always been pretty much paired down in the toy area; so much so that many of my kids' friends who came over were "bored" because there were not enough toys (or the right kinds of toys like gaming systems) to play with! I do believe that toys can be great but so many of today's kids have lost their creativity and imagination because of them. It's toy overload and serves no purpose.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• we have a rule that when a new toy comes in another toy goes out...... a weeks before christmas we go thru all of her toys and give them to kids who dont have a lot, we also do it before her birthday (sept) and atleast one other time during the year
    she's only 1 but thats what my SIL has always done with my neices (8&5) and they know that in order to get presents etc at christmas they have to help other kids have a good Christmas as well
    TjsbabiegirljT

Answer by TjsbabiegirljT at 4:03 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• If you don't want to confront them, try putting away 3/4 of the toys. Put them in plastic bins, and change them out every so often so it feels like new toys to them. Continue to weed out broken/annoying toys, but others just put away when you get new ones.
    02_Grey_Mustang

Answer by 02_Grey_Mustang at 4:50 PM on Jan. 5, 2011