making a difference in children

We have two boys and one girl. My daughter has ADHD. Whenever she does anything wrong my dh is harder on her. I guess because she is so much harder to deal with. I said I would never make a difference in my kids. I just catch myself taking up for her more since her dad is so hard on her. I have talked to my dh, and of course I don't know what I am talking about. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on Jan. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• Having an ADHD child is quite challenging at times- I know from experience. Has he been given literature about it? Does he know it's harder for her to control certain behaviors than kids w/out it? If he has the knowledge but still refuses to find more patience & understanding, that's sad. A good father/daughter relationship is vital to her development. Girls look for guys like their fathers (so it's said) so does he want her to grow up looking for men who are judgemental/critical of her? Maybe some family counseling is in order here. Good luck to you all!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:22 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Yes, have a talk with him. Get a pair of headphones, and put a really crappy tape in, ideally just fuzz. Make him wear it. Next, turn on the tv...put something in front of him to fill out. Next, ask him a question. All of this,with those headphones on. When he is fed up and ready to scream, tell him that is how your dd feels ALL THE TIME. Maybe then, he will be more understanding.
    kaileymom79

Answer by kaileymom79 at 12:01 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• wow . i think the best advice goes something like this....
    do unto others as you would have them do unto you...
    that and remember what it was like when you were young.
    and... everybody is different . we all have different challenges
    prettymango

Answer by prettymango at 4:45 PM on Jan. 7, 2011