Can someone please explain this to me?!

If you are not from the south & have no ties whatsoever to the south, why do you fly the rebel flag? (No judging- just very curious)

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 9:31 AM on Jan. 5, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Or maybe it's their ode to Dukes of Hazard? IDK. I don't automatically assume that a rebel flag is an indicator of racism. It's got history. Usually, little discussion or interaction of someone flying the flag will give you a good indication of their reasons for flying it. I know a guy that flies a pirate flag at his beach house. Doesn't mean he is a thief. He just thinks it looks cool.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:46 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Honey, there are rednecks everywhere. Unfortunately the KKK are still around and pervert the Confederate flag.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 9:35 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• It goes along with the whole Urban Cowboy thing in the 80's when it was cool to wear boots and cowboy hat and never rode a horse. The flag like USR stated, has more to do with State's rights than anything. Some dumb young hicks however, think it stands for other things. Up North I've never seen one, but there are plenty where we are at and it flew over our High School along with the American and State Flag when we lived in MS. Hell in AL every new pickup truck comes with a rebel flag in the back window. Right?
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:53 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I grew up in the north and live in the south now. We have an American flag.

I am rather appalled at the utter LACK of any real knowledge about why the Civil war was fought, about Lincoln's actual views of slavery, or what the Confederate flag stood for (not to mention that most people don't know that there are several flags that the Confederacy used).

Slavery may have been the rallying cry for the war in the north, but the war wasn't fought just over slavery. The driving factor was economics and tariffs, with northern states lobbying for high tariffs to force the sale of American made goods in the South over imports, and at the same time lowering the value of southern goods. The North had an industrial economy, the South had an agricultural economy. Slavery issues were part of it, but not the whole. And, as far as racial implications over the rebel flag, where do the black slave owners such as William Ellison fit in?
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 11:25 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I know a guy that does because he feels that the South stood up for what they believed in. He doesn't agree with their beliefs, but he respects them for uniting and standing their ground against a much more powerful opponent. There are others who use the flag in a racist manner. Ole Miss (University of Mississippi) are still called "The Rebels" and people fly the flag because they are fans of their football program.

Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:36 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• But its not all about race. I live in Alabama and have some friends that have it on the back window of their truck. People have different views on it. I actually use to wear a necklace that had a rebel flag on it (and I am black). Before we got out of high school a bunch of my black friends started wearing the rebel flag on their T-shirts and they use to call it the dirty south. But you do occasionally run into some people that believe in the racial meaning of it.
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 9:42 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I don't think it has anything to do with being from the south, at this point, it has to do with supporting conferedacy & states rights.

UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 9:46 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• OP most people I know Yankees and Rebs display it as a way to honor their family members that fought for the south. Just because a person lives north of the line now doesn't mean their family started there or has always been there.

As far as "States Rights"...don't forget that the right they were trying to hold on to was slavery.
    As to this you are aware that the Emancipation Proclimation only freed slaves in the south right? And that the Confederacy had more freed AA men fighting in their Army? Slaves in the north including Lincoln's personal slaves weren't freed until after the war ended, almost 2 years later. And actually the state's rights went farther than what you've mentioned. Taxes, commerce it all played a factor in why the Confederate States were unhappy with the way the system was.
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 10:46 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I agree Carpy, but the economics of the south were tied up with slavery, while the economics of the north were tied up with industry. The north profitted on the agriculture of the south AND wanted to profit more by using the tariffs to force the south to 1)spend their money on US products (which I don't have an issue with), and 2) reduce the profits the south made on their own products.

Abe Lincoln himself said "My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union."
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 1:49 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• History?
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 9:35 AM on Jan. 5, 2011