How do I get my baby to sleep at night?

he is 6 months old and wont sleep but an hour sometimes at night, He is feed rice cereal to keep him full, he is warm, & has a dry diaper. Btu he refuses to sleep all night, this is effecting my toddler because I almost fall asleep on him & its delaying me going back to college. I really have considered baby sleeping pills I'm so tired & i've done all things humanly possible to get him to sleep butnothing works.

Maggz0520

Asked by Maggz0520 at 9:48 AM on Jan. 5, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try giving him a lavendar bath before you put him to bed. You can get it by Johnson and Johnson or generic at Wal Mart.
    Proud_Mommy05

Answer by Proud_Mommy05 at 9:52 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• ok thank you. i will see if it will work tonight
    Maggz0520

Comment by Maggz0520 (original poster) at 9:55 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• "He is fed rice cereal to keep him full" - that right there is part of the problem. Rice cereal has no nutrition except a little iron. Formula or breastmilk is full of nutrition - just because it's liquid doens't mean it doesn't keep them full. Rice cereal may be bulkier, but is still digested and turned to fat faster. Bulk baby up on formula or breastmilk during the day to get his caloric needs met - rice cereal does not fill those caloric needs. Skip the cereal, up the formula or breastmilk, and realize that babies don't always sleep through the night. If it's really that bad, if he's really up every hour, take him to the doctor to make sure something else isn't going on. Or give him a pacifier. Or dress him warmer or cooler, or put a white noise machine in his room (and your toddlers), or take him to a chiropractor, or learn baby massage, or co-sleep, or just feed him when he wakes up. So many things you can try.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Does he sleep well during the day? Is there a routine that you follow when you lay him down? It always helped my kids to have a small blankie that smelled like me (I would tuck it under my shirt while they were awake), and something that made noise (my youngest liked a classical CD, my youngest has a "glow worm" that plays lullabies, and they all 5 had a "heartbeat" bear).

Answer by missanc at 1:58 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Before bed solids tend to make them wake MORE, and cereal is among the worst offenders. Skip the cereal.

Five hours is sleeping through the night.

I've never seen baby sleeping pills... but DO NOT give anything to make baby sleep... that can be very dangerous and I think you'd rather never sleep again than have him never wake again, right?

Missanc gives you some GREAT suggestions... follow them. And dump that which isn't needed for survival...it will give you more down time. Hand things over to Dad if he's in the picture.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:04 PM on Jan. 5, 2011

• yeah try to give him a bath before he goes to sleep at night, it works really well with my boy. Give him a bath before feeding, so hopefully he'll fall asleep during feeding. Also feed him in the dark.
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 3:35 PM on Jan. 5, 2011