Cleaner/moisturized (tried and true!) for acne prone skin??

My skin even at 27 is so acne/breakout prone... have tried lots of things (proactiv used to work in hs but doesnt work anymore) I need something easy to get (from drug store).... was wondering if anyone has advice on things they/friends have used that they love??

I am currently used Cetaphil, to try to just use straight up gentle cleanser... but I guess it's like denial, I really need something that is for acne prone skin.

Thanks!!

Sweet_Hart478

Asked by Sweet_Hart478 at 9:48 AM on Jan. 5, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• pro active
    hollinshead

Answer by hollinshead at 9:52 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I use Neutrogena clear pore. My skin is very sensitive and that works for me.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 9:58 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I use Clean and Clear products....Astringent and a night moisturizer in the evenings. In the mornings, a cleanser in the shower and a day time moisturizer with sunscreen.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:04 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• pro active didn't work on my acne prone skin either. OK, it worked a little, but it dried out my skin & the second i stopped using it, my face would break out again. So, i did a ton of research on acne prone skin & found out some intersting stuff.

When we use those over the counter acne products, it dries up our face really bad. It sucks the oil right out of our face. Well, the oil is not what causes acne. Its a bacteria that causes acne, but the oil helps the bacteria thrive. BUT, since moost of the acne products dry our skin out, our skin actually OVER produces oil which makes it easier for the pimple bacteria to live. Salicylic acid does not kill the pimple bacteria, what it does is it makes your skin cells turn over faster helping your zits heal faster. Benzoil peroxide is the only thing that actually KILLS pimple bacteria. But, it will also dry out your face real bad, makeing your skin produce more oil. Cont....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:12 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• So, this is what worked for me...buy a really good oil free facial moisturizer. Don't skimp, get a good one. And, buy a tube of 10% benzoil peroxide pimple cream, i like target brand the best. It's cheaper too. Put some moisturizer on your hand & squirt just a tad of the benzoil peroxide on your hand as well & mix them togehter with your fingers. Then apply all over your face. The benzoil peroxide will kill the acne baceria, while the moisturizer keeps your face from over producing oil. This littls concoction has really saved me. It was not too long before my wedding day that i figured this out. I was freaking, because i didn't want any zits on my wedding day. My face has been clear since. I do it once a day ever day, but i use straight lotion alone at night. In the beginning, you can do the combination twice a day until you have your acne under control, then switch to once a day. Hope this helps! Good luck!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:17 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• FYI, acne cleansers don't work well. In order to kill the acne bacteria, you need to have something on your skin for prolonged periods & acne cleansers only stay on your skin for a few minutes. A gentle facial cleanser is best.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:21 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• samurai_chica, thanks for sharing! I use Palmer's cocoa butter on my face at night, would that work?
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 10:50 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• i use St.Ives Naturally clear Apricot scrub blemish and black head control! it works very well with my skin. i have struggled with the same problem for years and now (knock on wood) my face doesn't break out as much
    fairy_gr8momma

Answer by fairy_gr8momma at 10:54 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Thanks so much for the info samurai_chica!! :) I will try that.
    Sweet_Hart478

Comment by Sweet_Hart478 (original poster) at 10:56 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Thanks Ashley... :) I will knock on wood for you too.
    Sweet_Hart478

Comment by Sweet_Hart478 (original poster) at 10:57 AM on Jan. 5, 2011