Losing place to stay

does anyone know if it is possible to get into low income housing if only making 200-250 a month? the section 8 is closed out here because the waiting list is too long. i have two kids and lost my job and am now just doing side work to make money and get by. we are living with family but have to move out since they are moving. i have tried calling the county but they wont really tell me to much. thank you

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Jan. 5, 2011 in Money & Work

• Section 8 is a joke sometimes they have a 10 year wait! Have you applied for FIA assistance and WIC and food stamps? Although I dont think that is the long term answer to your probs but it might help til you get on your feet again. May want to try looking into a trailer park some of those can be cheap but you need to get more $$ into your budget
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 10:17 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Go in person to Social Services ASAP.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:18 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Goodluck . I feel for you! I am a single mom with 2 youngchildren. I have to move out of my mom's house, because when I had my 2nd daughter it put us as one person over. I have NO WHERE 2 go, and I have no job =( It's scary, and i know ur super stressed, but def. look into social services for financial assistant. What about TANF? Its 24 months on, 24 off. That's what i've been getting for both my kids. Also I know you prob. won't want to do this, but I certainly am because it's my last resort. There's a place called Big Stone Gap, VA and they have a housing program, if you get on there program for 12 months, then u can move anywhere in state of VA and take the housing voucher with u, it's section 8, but u can use it in diff. counties not just one inparticular. Its worth a shot when u have no other options
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 11:34 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I applied for TANF but they turned me down witch makes i dont understand at all since i make no money
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:58 AM on Jan. 6, 2011