How do you discipline your child.My child is 2 years old she is very smart ,but at times she doesn't listen at all!She is very mouthy with talking back.She loves to tell us what she is going to do when we give her the direction.She can count,speak in spanish and count in spanish and a lot of other things.I am not sure what to do with her?HELP

What do you do to discipline your child when they don't constantly listen?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Jan. 5, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Time out in the corner always worked with mine.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 10:02 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• She's smart. There's your answer.
    She's already figured out what she can get away with and what she cannot get away with.
    Now, when are you going to decide what she can get away with and what she cannot get away with?
    The 2 yr old figured out.......................
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:03 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• She gets time outs. She can yell all she wants but her timeout time doesn't start until she is quiet.

I think as parents, we tend to let our kids get away with too much. We think of them as young adults and feel that they understand responsibility and not give enough consequences. Then, when they show their own independance that goes against what we want them to do, we realize what we have done.

Kids are kids...they should be told what to do, instructed how to do it, and held to certain standards.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:04 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Timeouts work great for attitude. Also speak quietly, calmly to her. Especially when she's screaming or yelling. Be consistent. Sounds like she has figured out how to push your buttons and get the upper hand. You have to be consistent with her, so she know she cannot get away with it even one time. Anytime she talks back, just say one time that when she talks that way she will go in time out. You don't need to keep repeating it. She's smart, she hears you. You will have to do this many times, because even though she's smart, she's still two.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 10:15 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I have tried this folks. I really posted this today to see if i am being too hard on her. I put her in time out and it isn't very effective. I tell her to never do it again or you will be in big trouble. She even tells me i'm sorry momma i didn't mean too!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:21 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• 1 minute on the stairs per year.
    jagrus

Answer by jagrus at 10:22 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• sounds just like my daughter i had to laugh when i read this she speaks spainsh and all. sum days she dont want to listen and its frutstrating but when daddy tells her sumthing she listen he tells me i need to deepin my voice lol
    kai302

Answer by kai302 at 10:28 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• also she tells me sorry when i dont even respond to her actions so they no what they are doing :)
    kai302

Answer by kai302 at 10:29 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Kai302 yes she does that to me too!Sometimes she will test her father too.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:31 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• She is just testing you. You have to be firm and let her know you are not going to let her get away with it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Jan. 5, 2011