why does my son want to dress like a bum?

My son is 10 years old and got lots of new clothes for Christmas, but will not wear them. It is a fight every morning he wears the same thing over and over and will put on clothes that do not fit him well. Once i see that it doesn't fit, i will find it in the laundry and put it in our donation box. he has nice clothes but would rather wear clothes that do not look well on him. I also get tired of wasting my time and money on this and taking him with me is an all out fight.

hollieshobbie

Asked by hollieshobbie at 10:09 AM on Jan. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• Stop buying nice new clothes. Next time go to the local thrift store to shop for his clothes.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:14 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• He's a guy, he doesn't care what he looks like, as long as he's comfortable.

When you shop for clothes, take him with you and let him pick his own clothes.
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 10:14 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• thrift store sounds like a great idea. He can find plenty of gently used bum clothes there. And, if he has a good collection of bum clothes...maybe he'll change what he wears daily. That is a good start at least.

I went through a stage like that, it was called grunge & i think my DD is trying real hard to bring it back in style. Although, she certainly is not allowed to wear stinky dirty clothes, or clothes that don't fit. But, i let her express herself through fashion. I see nothing wrong with that.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:32 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Probably just one of many phases. As long as he's clean & the clothes are clean, then let it be. I like the thrift store idea. Hopefully he'll wear some of the new clothes before he outgrows them. If not, take them to a consignment shop.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:38 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• I have tried making a fun day of just him and i and it all goes well until he has to start trying on clothes. i realize that it is probably a boy thing, he could care less. I just can't stand to see kids that look like their parents just rolled them out of bed and took them to school. to me i feel as though i will be judged as a parent not wanting to take the time to make my child take the time for personal hygeine. I am not opposed to going to the thrift store in fact a new 1 just opened up in our area and i have been wanting to check it out but we do live over an hour away from any lrg city and that is another reason i make him try his clothes on because i have made a many of trips having to return things. I do not buy into the hype of name brands although i do occasionally buy them on sale.
    hollieshobbie

Comment by hollieshobbie (original poster) at 11:23 AM on Jan. 5, 2011

• Sounds like he's just comfortable with his old clothes...when he grows out of them,pitch them *or donate* He won't have a choice, and if he makes a big fuss over wearing the new clothes, maybe he'll tell you exactly why.
    kaileymom79

Answer by kaileymom79 at 11:57 AM on Jan. 5, 2011